At MEC we love to see our members enjoying their gear in the outdoors. We welcome photography submissions of members participating in outdoor activities for use online or in stores.
What We Use Images For
- In-store graphic panels
- Store exterior banners
- Ads and promotions
We use images in many ways, large and small. Pictures are chosen based on the design and layout requirements of the particular project. As our needs change constantly you may be contacted a year or more after submission, when your image becomes a perfect fit for one of our projects.
Every year we get hundreds of photos from BC and Alberta where our members play the most. But we know that our members are also out playing in Quebec, the East Coast, and other exotic places – we'd love to see those images too.
We like to show the diversity of our membership, and welcome images that show the range of ethnic background, gender, and age.
- Please advise if athletes in the photo are sponsored or any have prior or ongoing professional affiliations.
We're interested in showing a range of activities too, everything from stand-up paddleboarding and cross-country skiing to hiking and climbing. We often use images that include groups or families enjoying the outdoors together.
Submitted photos must be sharp enough to be enlarged considerably. A quality camera with low ISO settings, fast lenses, and high shutter speeds help produce these tack-sharp images.
- Properly exposed images are bright enough to see detail, yet not be washed out.
- Submissions can be colour-corrected, but should not be manipulated in any way.
- Please specify brands of apparel and/or gear in submitted photo.
MEC has a comprehensive rates schedule. Compensation depends on the size and nature of image use. For details please download the PDF of our image use rates document. By submitting an image you agree to the rates, which are reviewed and periodically updated. If your image is selected, you must submit an invoice in order to receive payment.
How to Submit
- All submissions must be supplied with the photographer's name, address, phone number and/or email address, as well as the model's name and a brief description of where the photo was taken.
- This information can be embedded in the photo file's metadata using Photoshop (file>file info) or other programs, or in an attached document.
- We prefer to receive digital images, submitted via email, or FTP.
- For FTP information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please keep email attachments under 10MB
Email your submissions, or any questions to email@example.com.
Photographers are responsible for ensuring they have obtained written consent from their models, and for supplying this consent upon request from MEC. In the case of models that are not of legal age, a parent or legal guardian must sign on behalf of the model.
- If you are mailing files, please enclose written consent from any identifiable individuals.
- For digital files, please submit consent using one of the following methods:
- Scan the signed consent documents and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail or fax completed, signed documents separately.
- Obtain signed consent and supply the documents if required.
- MEC will not be responsible for any payment of models.