Access and Activity
Through Access and Activity grants ranging from $500 to $15,000, MEC supports outdoor activity organizations and clubs. We provide funding and product donations for initiatives and infrastructure projects that inspire and enable people to be active outdoors.
MEC exists to inspire and enable people to be active outdoors, and we know that places, skills, information, gear and infrastructure are important to help us all keep space for adventure.
- Demonstrates a commitment to:
- protect and create recreationally and ecologically important places that inspire and enable adventure and/or
- to inspire and enable people to be active outdoors
Activity engagement projects
- Encourage and enable participation in outdoor activities and provide opportunities for people, especially youth, to try new activities and/or develop technical or safety skills.
- Ensure ongoing, public access to outdoor activity areas through planning, construction and maintenance of facilities or infrastructure such as trails, skills-parks, backcountry shelters.
- Focus on one or more of the of the following self-propelled outdoor activities MEC supports: cycling, hiking, trail-running, outdoor climbing, paddling, cross-country/backcountry skiing, and snowshoeing
- State clear, measurable goals and outcomes
- Have goals that are attainable within a one-year grant term
- Will reach a high number of participants
- Involve community and/or activity groups in determining the need for the project
- Take advantage of opportunities to involve volunteers
- Have low administration costs compared to overall budget
- Minimize environmental impact and promote safe, responsible use of the outdoors
- Have a follow-up plan describing the steps that will be taken to ensure the long-term viability of the project.
How to Apply
MEC conducts two grant cycles annually. Please complete our online application to request product donations or a grant through the MEC Community Contributions program.
Application deadline: March 10 (midnight Pacific Time)
Applicants notified: mid-May
Application deadline: September 10 (midnight Pacific Time)
Applicants notified: mid-November