This Mountain Equipment Cooperative (MEC) contest, presented together with Tourism Whistler, is governed by the following rules. By entering this contest, you agree to comply with these rules and with the decisions of MEC and any contest judges (which are final and binding), and with applicable laws.
1. General Details. The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. No purchase is necessary to enter. The contest opens October 15, 2017 and closes at 12pm Pacific Time on December 1, 2017 and entries must be received within that period to be eligible. The contest is open to Canadian residents who are at least 21 years old as of the entry date. Correct answer to a mathematical skill-testing question is required to win. The chances of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received (and, if the contest involves voting or judging, the number of votes cast or the judges’ decisions).
2. Entry. There is only one way to enter the contest. You may enter the contest by completing the online entry form at https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/mec-11k-whistler-ski-giveaway. You are solely responsible for ensuring that your entry is properly submitted (including by properly completing any required registration fields). You must only submit one entry, and MEC may disqualify you if MEC receives multiple entries from you.
3. Eligibility. You do not have to be an MEC member to enter. You may not enter if you are an MEC or Tourism Whistler employee, representative, mandatary, officer or director, or a contest judge or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) or household member of an MEC or Tourism Whistler employee, representative, mandatary, officer or director or a contest judge.
4. Disqualification. MEC may disqualify you if you do not meet the contest’s eligibility criteria, do not comply with or attempt to circumvent these rules, attempt to disrupt or undermine the contest, or attempt to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or MEC representatives.
5. Winner. Winners will be selected as set out below. To be declared a winner and eligible for the prize, you must be in compliance with these rules, and must sign and deliver to MEC (within any period that MEC specifies) a standard declaration and release form, which will include: a declaration of your compliance with these rules, an acceptance of the prize as awarded, a publicity release, a liability release, the correct answer to a skill-testing question, and any other documentation that MEC may require.
MEC will conduct a random draw from all eligible entries on or around December 1, 2017 to select the potential contest winner.
MEC expects to announce the names of the final winner on or around December 5, 2017 at 12pm (PST) at MEC Vancouver head office.
If you are selected as the prize winner, you will be notified by the email address you provided in the online entry form. If you do not respond to the email notification of your selection as the prize winner within four (4) business days, or if you do not comply with these Rules (including any time frames specified in these Rules), you will be disqualified, your entry will be declared void, and the next eligible entry will be selected as the Prize winner in accordance with these Rules. All decisions of MEC in selecting the winner (s) are final and binding on all participants in all matters relating to the Contest. Contest participants are responsible for ensuring that all Contact Information is up-to-date and accurate.
6. Prize. There is one Grand Prize to be won – a winter ski trip for two to Whistler and a $5,000 MEC ski gear shopping spree – courtesy of MEC and Tourism Whistler. The grand prize consists of the following:
- one (1) night in a dual occupancy room in Vancouver at Pan Pacific Vancouver Hotel;
- five (5) nights in a dual occupancy room in Whistler at Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre Hotel;
- round-trip airfare for two people between a Canadian airport (the “Departure Point”) and Vancouver International Airport, up to a maximum combined value of $1500 CAD (see further details below);
- ground transportation for two (2) people from Vancouver International Airport to Pan Pacific Vancouver Hotel;
- ground transportation for two (2) people from Pan Pacific Vancouver Hotel in Vancouver to Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre Hotel in Whistler;
- ground transportation for two (2) people from Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre Hotel in Whistler to Vancouver International Airport;
- a private backcountry ski tour for two (2) adults courtesy of Extremely Canadian;
- a ‘Discover Biathlon’ lesson for two (2) adults courtesy of Whistler Olympic Park;
- an MEC ski gear shopping spree of up to $2,500 each for the Winner and guest, as described below; and
- a $150 dining gift certificate to a Whistler restaurant (to be selected by MEC).
Total Approximate Prize Value = $11,200 CAD
Accommodation, private backcountry ski tour, and discover biathlon lesson are all subject to availability dependent on dates selected and operating times and activities may be cancelled or re-scheduled due to inclement weather.
Blackout dates on travel for December 20, 2017 – January 3, 2018; January 6 – 14, 2018; January 27 – 29, 2018; February 9 – 11, 2018; February 16 – 24, 2018; March 1 – 3, 2018; March 24 – 31, 2018. Prize is valued at $11,200.
The prize winner must claim the prize before March 31, 2018. The prize must be accepted as awarded (with no substitutions), and may not be sold, transferred or converted into cash.
The Grand Prize Winner will not receive any compensation if actual retail value of trip is less than projected approximate retail value. Tourism Whistler reserves the right to substitute the Grand Prize in whole or in part in the event that all or any component of the Grand Prize is unavailable, with a Grand Prize or Grand Prize component of equal or greater retail value. The Grand Prize is not transferable, not redeemable for cash, not for re-sale and will be awarded to the confirmed winner only. All prizes must be redeemed between: December 8, 2017 – March 30, 2018, and if the winner is unable to travel within those dates an alternative winner will be selected.
The Grand Prize includes roundtrip airfare for two people departing from the same gateway at the Departure Point to Vancouver International Airport up to a maximum combined value of $1500 CAD. If the combined roundtrip airfare from the Departure Point to Vancouver International Airport is more than $1500, the Grand Prize winner will be responsible for the difference. Flight arrangements will be handled by Tourism Whistler. The Grand Prize Winner and guests must travel on same itinerary.
The selected entrant for the Grand Prize (the “Winner”) and his or her guest shall be responsible for all insurance (including travel and medical insurance) for the duration of the trip (the “Grand Prize Period”), and for all other expenses not specifically identified as being part of the Grand Prize, including meals, gratuities, incidentals, applicable taxes, spending money and overweight baggage fees if required. Winner and guest are also solely responsible for all costs incurred for travel to and from the Departure Point, as the Grand Prize originates and terminates there, and for all departure taxes, airport improvement fees, fuel/currency surcharges, baggage charges, gratuities, telephone calls, insurance, travel documentation, personal expenses, and any other expenses not specifically described as being included in the Grand Prize. Winner and guest must travel together and depart from the same location. Winner and guest are responsible for ensuring that all travel papers (including driver’s license or passport) required for travel are in good order, and are valid prior to, and for the entire duration of, the Grand Prize Period. Cancellation insurance is not part of the prize, airfare or any accommodations, but is recommended. The Grand Prize winner will not receive any compensation if the actual retail value of the trip is less than projected approximate retail value (the actual retail value will vary depending, among other things, on the location of the Departure Point).
MEC Ski Gear Shopping Spree Component:
The $5,000 shopping spree amount is divided equally between the winner and his or her guest, such that each person can purchase up to $2,500 (including applicable taxes) of ski gear, according to the following conditions:
- The winner and guest will browse MEC’s online store and must place an order with MEC’s social media community specialist with us by January 15, 2018, with the following restrictions:
- Ski gear (skis, boots, bindings, etc.) must be selected from downhill and backcountry products available through MEC’s online store.
- Ski outerwear (jackets, toques, gloves, etc.) must be selected from MEC-brand products available through MEC’s online store.
- If an individual’s total purchase (including tax) exceeds $2,500 then that individual must pay the difference to MEC to complete the purchase.
- If an individual’s total purchase (including tax) is less than $2,500 then that individual will NOT receive the difference from MEC.
- The purchased gear will be ready for the Winner and guest at MEC’s Vancouver store when they arrive in Vancouver the start of their trip. The Winner and guest must attend the MEC store to try the gear on in person, and will be able to exchange for different sizes, etc. (subject to product availability). If the Winner or guest selected skis, the skis will need to be mounted in the MEC store.
7. Prize Providers. MEC and Tourism Whistler are not affiliated or associated with, nor are they sponsors of or otherwise responsible for, the providers of the other components of the Grand Prize (including Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts, Extremely Canadian and Whistler Sport Legacies). In addition to any documentation (including waivers) that the Winner and guest are required to provide to MEC and Tourism Whistler under these rules, they will be required to provide other documentation, including waivers and releases of liability, to the some or all of the providers of the other Grand Prize components in order to participate in the prizes. MEC and Tourism Whistler have no, and disclaim all, responsibility and liability for the acts or omissions (including negligence) of any of those prize providers.
8. Cancellation. MEC may cancel, change, extend or suspend the contest if for any reason MEC cannot run the contest as planned. If that occurs, MEC may award the prize at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of impairment, or award no prize.
9. Publicity. Except where otherwise prohibited by law, participation in the contest constitutes a winner’s consent to MEC’s use of the winner’s name, home town and photograph for promotional purposes without further notification, permission, payment or consideration.
11. Disclaimer. None of MEC, Tourism Whistler or any of the prize providers identified above are responsible for, and those entities do not accept liability for, any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from: (a) your participation in, or inability to participate in, the contest; (b) any lost, delayed, misdirected, illegible, incomplete or undeliverable entries, or any delay or failure to transmit, process, receive or consider entries; (c) any technical failures affecting your participation in the contest or the operation of the contest; (d) any injury or damage to persons or property caused directly or indirectly from your participation in the contest; (e) your receipt, use or redemption of any prize, or your inability to receive, use or redeem any prize; or (f) human error, theft, destruction or other factors beyond their control.
12. Release and Indemnity. By participating in this contest you release and agreed to indemnify and hold harmless MEC, Tourism Whistler, Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts, Extremely Canadian and Whistler Sport Legacies , and their employees, directors, officers, affiliates, agents, judges and advertising and promotional agencies from any damages, injuries, claims, causes of action, liability or losses (including actual legal fees and expenses), known or unknown, absolute or contingent, arising from or related to: (a) your failure to comply with any of these rules; (b) your participation in the contest; (c) any misrepresentation you make under these rules or otherwise to any of the indemnified parties; or (d) your receipt, use or redemption of any prize, or your inability to receive, use or redeem any prize.
13. Law and Disputes. These rules are governed by the laws applicable in British Columbia. Any disputes, claims or causes of action arising out of or connected with the contest, prize or these rules will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court of British Columbia, Canada.
14. For Québec residents. If the contest is operated in Quebec, Canada, any decision to be made by MEC may be subject to a ruling of the Régie des alcools des courses et des jeux du Québec. Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
15. Language. The parties have expressly requested that this agreement and any related document be prepared in the English language. If there is any discrepancy or inconsistency between the English language version and the French language version of these contest rules, the English version will prevail, govern and control.
Les parties aux présentes ont expressément demandé à ce que cette convention et les documents qui s’y rapportent soient rédigés en anglais. En cas de divergence ou d’incohérence entre les versions anglaise et française de ces règles de concours, la version anglaise prévaudra, régira et contrôlera.