We use images in many ways (store displays, mec.ca, email communications, ads and promotions). We choose images based on the design and layout requirements of a particular project, so we might contact you a year or more after submission, when your image becomes a perfect fit.
Every year we get hundreds of photos from BC and Alberta, but we know MEC members are also out playing in Quebec, the East Coast, and other exotic places – we’d love to see those images too.
People and activities
We like to show the diversity of our membership: ethnic background, gender, and age. We often use images that include groups or families, and we’re interested in showing a range of activities, from stand-up paddleboarding and cross-country skiing to hiking and climbing.
Please advise if athletes in the photo are sponsored or any have prior or ongoing professional affiliations.
Photos must be sharp enough to be enlarged considerably. A quality camera with low ISO settings, fast lenses, and high shutter speeds help produce these tack-sharp images.
- Properly exposed images are bright enough to see detail, yet not be washed out.
- Submissions can be colour-corrected, but should not be manipulated in any way.
- Please specify brands of apparel and/or gear in submitted photo.
MEC has a comprehensive rates schedule that depends on the size and nature of image use. By submitting an image you agree to the rates posted on this page, which are reviewed and periodically updated. If your image is selected, you must submit an invoice to receive payment.
Image use rates (PDF)
- Submissions must be supplied with the photographer’s name, address, phone number and/or email address, model’s name(s) and a brief description of where the photo was taken.
- Information can be embedded in the photo file’s metadata using Photoshop (file>file info) or other programs, or in an attached document.
- We prefer to receive digital images, submitted via email, or FTP.
- For FTP information please contact email@example.com.
- Please keep email attachments under 10MB
Email submissions or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographers are responsible for ensuring they have obtained written consent from their models, and for supplying this consent upon request from MEC. In the case of models that are not of legal age, a parent or legal guardian must sign on behalf of the model.
- If you are mailing files, please enclose written consent from any identifiable individuals.
- For digital files, please submit consent using one of the following methods:
- Scan the signed consent documents and email them to email@example.com.
- Mail or fax completed, signed documents separately.
- Obtain signed consent and supply the documents if required.
- MEC will not be responsible for any payment of models.