Pride is so much more than a month or a flag. MEC wants to increase equity in the outdoors, so we’ve created Queer Gear Kits to support 2SLGBTQIA+ community groups getting more folks outside. We plan to offer this grant on an annual basis.
We’ll select four community groups as recipients. See how last year’s recipients are using their Queer Gear Kits.
What’s in the Queer Gear Kit?
- $1,000 grant to put toward outdoor activities for your community group
- Epic camp set-up for your crew: (2) MEC 4-person tents, (8) MEC sleeping bags, (8) MEC sleeping pads, (1) double-burner camp stove, a first aid kit, and more!
- Pride outside gear from MEC
“Recreating outdoors can be intimidating, exclusive and cost prohibitive… ironically, it’s some of these systemic barriers that make the act of going outside all the more important to the wellness of different groups!” – Nicola, Colleen and Jessie from The Monthly Cycle, one of last year’s Queer Gear Kits recipients
This grant is available for organizations with the following criteria:
- 2SLGBTQIA+ led or serving organizations working to support diversity in the outdoors
- Organizations that support programs to remove barriers for 2SLGBTQIA+ communities to get active outdoors
- Non-profit, charities and community groups are eligible (registered non-profit status not required)
This grant does not support:
- Governmental organizations, including organizations that receive core funding from the government
- In-classroom curriculum programs (excludes after-school programs, clubs, or third-party programs)
- Projects outside of Canada
If you’re part of a community group that might be interested, spread the word! We’d love to help support your next adventure through this grant. We can’t wait to see what you have planned.
Grant applications for Queer Gear Kits are now open!
- Applications for this grant are open until June 30, 2023.
- Final decisions for grant applications will be made by July 31, 2023.
- Successful grant applicants will be contacted in August.