- Can I submit a paper application or email you my resume?
- There’s no denying progress, so only applications submitted online through our job board will be considered.
- Did you change your job board? It looks different and I can’t seem to be able to use the username and password I set up when I last applied for an opportunity at MEC.
- We have indeed changed our recruiting solution as of April 2018. Past profiles were not moved over to the new system, so you’ll have to create a new presence (candidate record). The good news is that our new system allows you to apply with your LinkedIn profile, can pre-populate info based on the resume you attach and lets you personalize your presence further.
- How will I know if you’ve received my application?
- You will receive an email confirmation when your application has been received. If you don’t see the email in your inbox, check your email’s spam or junk inbox.
- How can I find out the status of my application?
- When you sign back in your presence (profile), you’ll be able to see the status of your application for each opportunity you’ve applied for. If you’ve applied for a role in one of our stores, you can always contact the store directly to get more details.
- I don’t see an opportunity that matches my skills and interests. Can I still send you my resume?
- Of course! You can sign up and create a presence (or profile) via our job board. The next time you see an opportunity posted on our website, you’ll be able to apply for it in no time! You can also sign up for job alerts to receive automated emails when opportunities come up at your preferred location(s). From the landing page showing all the current opportunities, click on “select location” and pick the locations you want to receive alerts for. Click on “create job alert” and follow the prompts. Please note that job alerts are an optional feature that utilizes a third-party mail service located in the U.S. (offices in California and Texas to be exact). However, the only information collected will be your name and email address for the sole purpose of sending you the job alert.
- I saw a job posting on an external site, but I don’t see it on your website, can I still apply for the position?
- If the job opportunity no longer appears on our job board, it means the deadline to apply has passed and we are no longer accepting applications. Our website is always the most up-to-date place to check for our current opportunities.
- I’m having technical difficulties, what can I do?
- We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing difficulties submitting your application – we get that it can be frustrating. Without being able to diagnose the exact issue telepathically, we can propose a couple of solutions: switching browser and ensuring that cookies (small text file stored on a user’s hard drive) are enabled will most often resolve the problem.
- I’ve forgotten my password, what do I do?
- We’ve all been there! On the login page of our job board, clicking on “sign in” in the top right corner will take you the sign in page – there you’ll see a convenient “Create/Reset your password” link you can click on to change your password.
- Can I make changes to my applications?
- Once you’ve applied for a specific opportunity, you won’t be able to change that specific application, but you can always update your presence (or profile) to add skills, supporting documents or links to your latest information.
- What is the minimum age to work in one of your stores?
- For all our locations, we follow the provincial employment standards when it comes to the minimum age requirement. We encourage you to look at the applicable standards for your province. In addition, if someone is still in high school, we are required to not schedule them during school hours. Of course, availability of positions and scheduling flexibility at each store will depend on current staff levels and coverage requirements.
- Do you hire foreign workers?
- We hire foreign workers provided they have a valid work permit on hand before they start their employment with MEC. We are not able to support them with obtaining a work permit, except for very senior level and highly-specialized positions.
- I heard MEC is opening a store and I’d really like to join the team. When/where can I apply?
- Do you follow Ontario’s Accessibility requirements in your recruitment practices?
- We certainly do. On our job board, we describe the essentials of what it takes to make things happen in specific roles. MEC believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, so we strive to make our employee workforce inclusive and reflective of the communities we serve. We endeavour to make it possible for people with disabilities to succeed here too, so if you have a disability, let us know what extra support you need, and we’ll make reasonable accommodations.
- I plan on attending a job fair at my local MEC store, do I still need to apply online?
- Yes, we require all candidates to apply online through our job board so we have your information in our recruitment and onboarding software.
Fred's gift picksAn outside-the-box list of gift ideas for skiers, cyclists and more.Read more
Nicole’s gift picksTried and true gift picks from an MEC store staffer – all guaranteed hits.Read more
Winter boot guide: warm, waterproof and versatileOur top picks to combat snowdrifts, icy sidewalks and deep puddles.Read more
Your guide to the warmest jackets from MECTop picks for Canadian winters in 2020 from MEC Label designers.Read more