From the fabric to the features, this technical soft shell is engineered for mountains.
Co-developed by MEC™ and Polartec®, and exclusive to MEC, the fabric’s outside face is a fairly tight weave that is rugged and easy-moving, with an excellent balance of wind-resistance and breathability. DWR treatment adds protection against light precipitation. The inside face has a high loft that’s been partially voided – about 35% of the loft has been removed to enhance breathability, mobility and packability. The interior fibres help move moisture out for fast evaporation.
- Made of Polartec nylon stretch-woven face fabric with DWR (durable water repellency), with polyester fleece bonded to the inside.
- Over-size handwarmer pockets double as core vents during high aerobic periods.
- Chest pocket also offers some venting.
- Shockcord and glued hem seals out the elements and lowers the profile.
- Semi-technical fit, designed to reduce torso lift during climbing.
- Tailored cuffs are low profile, for layering and to slot neatly into cracks.
Technical garments, designed for specific activities have features that aren’t always adaptable to general use. For example, cycling clothing is longer in the back and arms. Activity aside, the fit of MEC clothing falls into these categories: