The Midtown is our entry-level urban bike, it's designed to entice you out of the car and onto the bike path. You could buy and burn up a dozen tanks of gas, or for about the same price, you could buy this bike and still be riding it decades from now. Quality, basic components are easy to maintain, so it's a reliable ride for getting from point A to point B. Outfit it with a rack and panniers and it will get you smoothly from point C to D as well. Larger-diameter wheels roll more easily than the standard 26in. mountain bike wheels, but can still handle bumps, dug-up pavement and unpaved side streets. For this year, we gave the Midtown a new paint job and upgraded it from 8 speeds to 9.
- Lightweight, aluminum frame.
- 700 x 35mm tires are built for rolling on roads and dirt roads or pathways or light trail use.
- Shimano® Acera V-brakes provide good stopping power, even in wet weather.
- Wide-range gearing features Shimano Acera front derailleur and Shimano Alivio rear derailleur.
- Shimano Acera 28-38-48T triple crank and Shimano HG30 9-speed 11-32T cassette provides options for general city riding.
- Upright seated position for visibility in traffic.
- MEC Ergo grips reduce pressure on palms and offer good weight distribution.
- Waterproof-coated Selle Royal Freccia saddle with gel padding to absorb shock.
- MEC Trekking pedals can be fitted with toeclips and straps.
- Shimano Acera components.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rock Solid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes were designed in Canada. Everything from the frames, to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||MEC AS-021 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||MEC Mountain Riser 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Shimano Acera (V-brake rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Acera|
|Shifters||Shimano Acera Rapid Fire|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Acera|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Acera|
|Crank + rings||Shimano Acera 48-38-28T|
|Bottom bracket||Shimano UN-26|
|Hub (front)||Shimano Acera|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano HG30 9-speed 11-32T|
|Rims||Alex ACE 18|
|Tires||Kenda Trekking 700 x 35|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Ariel|