Explore the open road on two wheels. This multi-purpose bike can also be used for general city riding or long-haul touring. Named after the year the MEC was founded, the Nineteen Seventy One exemplifies MEC's core purpose – to inspire people to get outside. It's designed to be comfortable for hours of riding and adaptable to riding on pavement, over country roads, up hills, and into headwinds.
- Lightweight 7005 aluminum frame.
- Longer wheelbase and relaxed frame geometry provide a stable, predictable ride.
- Larger diameter (700) wheels roll efficiently. 32mm tires protect the rims and resist pinch flats.
- Avid Shortly 4 cantilever brakes are light, inexpensive, and easy to maintain.
- FSA Omega 30-39-50T triple crank with Shimano® 12-25 9-speed cassette provide plenty of gear options for powering up hills and over flat terrain.
- Selle Royal Yak saddle with gel padding absorbs road shock better than foam.
- Sold with Crank Brothers Candy Clipless pedals.
- Threaded fittings make it easy to attach racks, fenders, and water bottles.
- Lots of clearance between the frame and wheel to accommodate fenders.
- Shimano Sora components.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rock Solid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes were designed in Canada. Everything from the frames, to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||Easton EA30 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||MEC Road 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Avid Shorty 4 (cantilever rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Tiagra|
|Crank + rings||FSA Omega 50-39-30T|
|Bottom bracket||FSA Mega Exo|
|Pedals||Crank Brother's Candy Clipless|
|Hub (front)||Road Disc|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano Tiagra 9-speed 12-25T|
|Rims||Mavic CXP22 S|
|Tires||Hutchinson Cross Town 700 x 32|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Yak|