MEC Alpine Ally Jacket - Men's
Ticking classics in the Bugaboos or new routing in the Coast Range, you need to move fast where good conditions are fleeting. This minimalist shell features deep pockets where you can stash accessories for quick access. The hood can be adjusted for coverage, mobility, and to give you clear sightlines of the route and encroaching clouds. Laminated Pertex nylon is a waterproof-breathable fabric that provides convective venting and good overall breathability.
- 3-layer Pertex Shield + is treated to shed water and taped through the seams for full waterproof protection.
- Clean, stitch-free construction is light and offers unrestricted movement.
- Helmet compatible hood has 3-way adjustments (left, right and front to back).
- Chin guard prevents chafing.
- Underarm zips provide venting options.
- Full front zipper backed with storm flap protects from harsh conditions.
- Pockets are positioned high to accommodate a harness. Mesh-lining assists with venting during hardworking ascents.
- Zippers are very water-resistant, but not waterproof, so we don't recommend storing items inside the pockets that could be damaged if they get wet.
- Velcro® cuff tabs and articulated elbows improve overhead functionality.
- Left and right-side toggle adjustable hem for fit adjustments on the fly.
Garments, designed for specific activities have features that aren’t always adaptable to general use. For example, cycling clothing is longer in the back and arms. Activity aside, the fit of MEC clothing falls into these categories:
All MEC men’s and boy’s pants are regular rise.
|Technology||Pertex Shield +|
|Face fabric||Nylon + polyurethane|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
- Measure fullest circumference, keeping tape up under arms and across shoulder blades.
- Measure at the narrowest circumference of your waist.
- Stand with feet together and measure at fullest circumference.
- Arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist.
- Tall arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist. Not all styles available in 'tall'.