This is the bike you take when you set your mind to riding across Canada. With top-shelf Shimano® components and a traditional steel frame (coated in classic deep burgundy) the National rolls in as our long-haul touring bike. Illustrated decals on the frame depict crests from all 10 provinces and 3 territories – tick them off as you trace routes, paths, ice-roads, and the Trans-Canada Highway and rack up the kilometres.
- Reynolds 520 steel frame for a traditional, solid-feeling ride.
- Larger diameter (700) wheels roll efficiently. 32mm tires protect the rims and resist pinch flats.
- Shimano® BR-CX50 cantilever brakes are easy to maintain and have good mud clearance.
- FC-4603 Tiagra Triple Hollowtech-2 crank with Shimano® 12-30 10-speed cassette provide gear options for powering up the Rockies and spinning through the Prairies.
- Threaded fittings allow you to attach racks, fenders, and water bottles.
- Sold with a Fizik Nisene saddle.
- Shimano® Tiagra components.
- This model is not equipped with pedals.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes were designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||Reynolds 520 steel|
|Headset||FSA Orbit X|
|Handlebars||FSA Gossamer Ergo 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Shimano BR-CX50 (cantilever rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Tiagra|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Tiagra|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Tiagra|
|Crank + rings||Shimano Tiagra 50-39-30T|
|Bottom bracket||Shimano Tiagra|
|Hub (front)||Shimano Tiagra|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano Tiagra 10-speed 12-30T|
|Chain||Shimano Tiagra CN-4601|
|Tires||Continental Sport Contact Reflex 700 x 32|