A waterproof-breathable jacket, designed to meet your backcountry needs and appeal to your frontside aesthetic. Set at an exceptional price point, this 3-layer jacket has technical features such as fully taped seams, a helmet compatible hood, powder skirt, and a Recco rescue reflector. But all this tech is housed in a fitted, fluid cut that can be worn over a fleece, and looks entirely at home when you wear it off the ski hill.
- Fabric is Pertex Shield+ nylon 3-layer waterproof-breathable laminate, with a polyurethane hydrophilic film.
- Fully taped seams prevent moisture from seeping through.
- Adjustable hood accommodates a helmet.
- Polyester fleece chin guard protects your skin from abrasion.
- Underarm zips for self-regulated cooling.
- Built-in Recco® Rescue System reflector allows ski patrol and mountain rescue teams to detect and locate Recco reflectors under snow. Useful for resort skiing, Recco technology is not a substitute for avalanche skills training, beacons, essential gear, or smart decision-making in the backcountry.
- 2 handwarmer pockets with snappable flaps, Interior zippered pocket.
- Velcro and snap-closure cuffs.
- Powder skirt with gripper elastic and snap closure seal out the cold, and hem shockcord keeps snow from spraying up your back.
- Looped snaps attach this jacket to the MEC Trackback or Backbeyond Pants.
Garments, designed for specific activities have features that aren’t always adaptable to general use. For example, cycling clothing is longer in the back and arms. Activity aside, the fit of MEC clothing falls into these categories:
All MEC men’s and boy’s pants are regular rise.
|Technology||Pertex Shield +|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.