Astonishingly breathable and packable, the MEC Obsession uses breakthrough Polartec Alpha for warmth with air permeability that won't shut down your ability to move. Most insulated jackets require a tightly woven outer layer, which limits their overall breathability. This hoodie uses light soft shell to cover the insulation, and fleece panels in the back and under arms where you need venting. The outer is DWR-treated to add water resistance when worn as an outer layer. And the cut is compact and streamlined, so it works as a mid-layer for alpine forays and ski days.
- Front core and arms are Polartec High Pile Alpha that remains warm and breathable in damp conditions.
- High-pile insulation is light nylon soft shell that provides wind resistance and breathability.
- Lined with Polartec Alpha ripstop nylon with high air permeability.
- Outer surfaces are DWR-treated for protection when used alone.
- Back, underarms, cuffs and hood are polyester, spandex fleece, brushed on the inside with a smooth outer.
- Snug, scuba-style hood slips under a helmet.
- Internal stormflap covers zipper and a foldover chinguard protects your skin.
- Raglan style sleeves for comfort under pack straps.
- Exterior chest pocket holds a map or energy bar.
- Bottom hem adjusts with drawcord to seal warmth in and weather out.
Garments, designed for specific activities have features that aren’t always adaptable to general use. For example, cycling clothing is longer in the back and arms. Activity aside, the fit of MEC clothing falls into these categories:
All MEC men’s and boy’s pants are regular rise.
|Face fabric||20-denier ripstop nylon|
|Insulation||80g/sq. m polyester|
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Pockets||1 external chest|
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
|Additional feature(s)||Wind flap behind zipper|