Our entry-level urban bike now has city-style handle bars and a snazzy new colour. The Midtown is made to entice you out of the car and onto the bike path. You could buy and burn up a dozen tanks of gas, or for about the same price, you could buy this bike and still be riding it decades from now. Quality, basic components are easy to maintain, so it's a reliable ride for getting from point A to point B. Outfit it with a rack and panniers and it will get you smoothly from point C to D as well. Larger-diameter wheels roll more easily than the standard 26in. mountain bike wheels, but can still handle bumps, dug-up pavement and unpaved side streets.
- Lightweight, aluminum frame.
- 700 x 35mm tires are built for rolling on roads and dirt roads or pathways or light trail use.
- Shimano® Acera V-brakes provide good stopping power, even in wet weather.
- Wide-range gearing suits general city riding and uses Shimano Acera cranks, cassette and front derailleur; Shimano Alivio rear derailleur.
- Upright seated position and riser bars give you good visibility in traffic.
- MEC Trekking pedals can be fitted with toeclips and straps.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC
- Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes are designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics were developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||MEC AS-021 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||MEC City Riser 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Shimano Acera (V-brake rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Acera|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Acera|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Acera|
|Crank + rings||SRAM S650 48-38-28T|
|Bottom bracket||Shimano UN-26|
|Hub (front)||Shimano Acera|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano HG30 9-speed 11-32T|
|Rims||Alex ACE 18|
|Tires||Kenda Trekking 700 x 35|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Freccia|