MEC Backbeyond Jacket - Men's
Shop with confidence. If it's not working out like you expected, you can return it.
Really. If it's not up to snuff after you use it (a couple times) you can still bring it back.
It lasts longer than 30 days, but not forever. We'll be fair about it. We're all members here.
Price match guarantee
Find a lower price within 30 days? We’ll match it.
If you see a lower price for this exact item advertised online, in print or in a store, give us a call at 1 (888) 847-0770.
If it’s identical, brand-new, in stock, and sold and shipped by a Canadian-based retailer, we’ll match that price.
Sorry, this product is no longer available
For experience-hungry skiers whose bread and butter is lift-accessed terrain – but who venture out for some untracked snacking. Not as fully pared-back as an alpine-style jacket, the Backbeyond has a more modern flowy shape and a nod to resort skier style. It still has all the technical features you expect from a backcountry shell, but the casual cut might take up a little more room if you stuff it in a pack. Colours, cut and attachment system are designed to coordinate with MEC Backbeyond Pants.
- Fabric is 3-layer GORE-TEX® that's supple, lightweight and provides waterproof-breathable protection. Nylon inner lining.
- Fully taped seams seal out the elements.
- Adjustable hood is helmet compatible.
- Fleecy chin guard on interior of collar.
- Underarm zips let you vent when things get smoking.
- Sleeves have gusseted hook and loop cuffs that seal over your gloves.
- Watertight YKK® Aquaguard zipper on centre front, with Uretek coated zipper on pockets and under arms.
- Zip out powder skirt has an gripper elastic to keep it in place and keep out snow.
- Built-in Recco® Rescue System reflector allows ski patrol and mountain rescue teams to detect and locate Recco reflectors under snow. Useful for resort skiing, Recco technology is not a substitute for avalanche skills training, beacons, essential gear, or smart decision-making in the backcountry.
- Cut to slide over inner warm layers, the fit is not super technical, but provides room to twist and move freely.
- Looped snaps attach the jacket to compatible snow pants.
|Face fabric||Nylon + spandex|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
How to measure
- Measure fullest circumference, keeping tape up under arms and across shoulder blades.
- Measure at the narrowest circumference of your waist.
- Stand with feet together and measure at fullest circumference.
- Arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist.
- Tall arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist. Not all styles available in 'tall'.