A portable version of the thermal viewers used by SAR professionals. The First Mate detects the thermal energy all objects emit and displays it as a video image. Because it works off differences in heat, not light, things like people, campfires, and engines show up clearly, even in daylight. Use it to locate a capsized kayaker, spot boats motoring without lights, or navigate through darkness and fog.
In InstAlert viewing mode, the hottest elements in a scene are displayed in red – excellent for rescues or wildlife watching. The freeze frame function lets you overcome trembling hands or rolling boats to get a steady look at items of interest.
- Detects people at distances up to 320m, small vessels up to approximately 896m.
- Display can be toggled through White Hot, Black Hot, or InstAlert (hottest items shown in red).
- Waterproof to IP-67 (submersion up to 1 metre). Not buoyant.
- Field of view is 24 x 18° NTSC.
- Focal length is 19mm, fixed focus.
- Internal rechargeable li-ion battery, with a typical operating life of 5 hours per charge.
- Operating temperature range is -20 to 50°C.
- Dimensions are 17 × 5.8 × 6.2cm.
- Includes wrist strap, USB cable, and product CD.
|Detector||240 x 180 VOx Microbolometer|
Human size detectable distance
Maximum distance at which scope is able to detect a 180 x 50cm object.
Small vessel size detectable distance
Maximum distance at which scope is able to detect a 2.3 x 2.3m object.
|Wave band||7.5 - 13.5µm|
Refresh rate with NTSC or PAL.
|Operating temperature||-4 to 50°C|
Battery life (operating)
Ratings using AA NiMH batteries.
|Dimensions||17 x 6.2 x 5.8cm|
Indicates the degree of protection against liquid. IP X1: Dripping water while in normal operating orientation; IP X4: Splashing water; IP X5: Water jets; IP X6: Powerful water jets; IP X7: Immersion up to 1m ≤ 30 minutes; IP X8: Suitable for submersion as specified by manufacturer.
|Still photo mode||No|
|Data card||Not accepted|