A portable version of the thermal viewers used by SAR professionals. The First Mate detects the thermal energy all objects emit and displays it as a video image. Because it works off differences in heat, not light, people, campfires, and engines show up clearly, even in daylight. The large detector on this model provides good image detail and gives you times-2 zoom to get a closer look at items of interest. Use it to locate a capsized kayaker, spot boats motoring without lights, or navigate through darkness and fog.
- Detects people at distances up to 450m, small vessels up to approximately 1,250m.
- Display can be toggled through White Hot, Black Hot, or InstAlert. In InstAlert, the hottest elements in a scene are displayed in red – excellent for rescues or wildlife watching.
- Waterproof to IP-67 (submersion up to 1 metre). Not buoyant.
- Field of view is 24 x 18° NTSC.
- Focal length is 19mm, fixed focus.
- Internal rechargeable li-Ion battery, with a typical operating life of 5 hours per charge.
- Operating temperature range is -20 to 50°C.
- Dimensions are 17 × 5.8 × 6.2cm.
- Includes wrist strap, USB cable, and product CD.
|Detector||320 x 240 VOx Microbolometer|
Human size detectable distance
Maximum distance at which scope is able to detect a 180 x 50cm object.
Small vessel size detectable distance
Maximum distance at which scope is able to detect a 2.3 x 2.3m object.
|Wave band||7.5 - 13.5µm|
Refresh rate with NTSC or PAL.
|Operating temperature||-4 to 50°C|
Battery life (operating)
Ratings using AA NiMH batteries.
|Dimensions||17 x 6.2 x 5.8cm|
Indicates the degree of protection against liquid. IP X1: Dripping water while in normal operating orientation; IP X4: Splashing water; IP X5: Water jets; IP X6: Powerful water jets; IP X7: Immersion up to 1m ≤ 30 minutes; IP X8: Suitable for submersion as specified by manufacturer.
|Still photo mode||No|
|Data card||Not accepted|