The result of collaboration between Black Diamond and Pieps, the Halo 28 JetForce is a ski pack with a built-in airbag and a JetForce inflation system. When you deploy it, the airbag inflates in 4 seconds and stays inflated for 3 minutes before automatically deflating to create an air pocket in the surrounding snow. The JetForce system relies on an electronically powered fan, rather than a compressed gas canister for inflation, so it can be used repeatedly for practice sessions, and it continues to inflate even if torn or punctured. The bag can be repacked easily and then redeployed using a single charge. Without canisters, the system is also travel friendly, and can be transported by plane. The power source is a lithium ion battery (similar to one in a small laptop) that recharges in about 4 hours from a wall outlet. Combined with a mid-sized pack, the Halo 28 JetForce is sized for day-long ski tours and hut-based missions.
- Pack fabric is ballistic nylon, with Cordura nylon reinforcements.
- reACTIV suspension system with SwingArm shoulder straps.
- Zippered access through the back panel.
- Dedicated tool pocket for avalanche gear and an internal organization pocket.
- Diagonal ski carry stows when not in use and allows airbag to deploy even with skis or board attached.
- Helmet holder provides quick access.
- Hipbelt pockets hold small items.
- 200L airbag is made of high-tenacity, puncture-resistant Cordura, the same material as automotive airbags.
- JetForce trigger in the shoulder strap operates with left or right hand, and with gloves or mitts.
- Trigger button arms the system, deploys it, or turns it off (required for air travel). LED indicators show system status.
- Automatic system self-diagnosis: PIEPS electronics perform "good to go" check when you start the system.
- Lithium ion battery pack recharges from a wall (AC) outlet.
- Single charge provides about 4 deployments (less in very cold conditions) to allow you to practice and provides redundancy for secondary avalanches.
- Airbag is easy to repack, requires no special folding or repacking procedures.
- Fan runs through the entire 3 minute deployment cycle, so the airbag remains inflated even if torn or abraded by avalanche debris.
- Airbag automatically deflates after 3 minutes to create a potential air pocket to provide air and aid in extraction.
|Main fabric||840-denier ballistic nylon|
|Secondary fabric||210-denier ripstop nylon|
The location of all access points into the main compartment of the pack.
Torso length is measured from the most prominent vertebrae at the back of your neck (top of shoulders) to the spot on your lower spine that lines up with the top of your hipbone.
|Ventilated back panel||No|
Adjustable shoulder harness
An adjustable harness lets you change the height of the shoulder straps to fit your specific back length.
The hipbelt and/or shoulder straps of the pack are designed to move, pivot or flex to follow your body’s movements. Each brand uses their own technology.
|Carries||Skis - diagonal|
|Deployment System||High-speed fan|