Convert you shovel to an ice axe for steep, exposed slopes where you might want a self-arrest tool. Attach the compact pick to the shovel’s T-handle and slide the spike into the shaft bottom to make a lightweight emergency axe. The telescoping shaft adjusts the height and extends to a full 84cm when you need leverage for shoveling.
- Blade and spike are 7075 T6 aluminum.
- Pick is forged steel.
- When not in use, the pick and spike nest together for safe storage in a jacket pocket or pack.
- Pro Alu III, Ortovox's premier shovel is fast to assemble and has a huge 2.7L scoop volume. T-handle configures for right or left-handed users.
- Telescoping shaft is secure and compact enough (44cm) to fit in a pack.
- Shovel blade has slots for rigging a rescue sled, and mounts on the shaft handle to make a scoop for snow cave construction.
- Carrying bag included.
|Blade material||Hardened aluminum|
D-grips provide better comfort and control but are bulkier than T-grips which are more compact for storage in a pack.
|Blade dimensions||29 x 22cm|
Maximum usable length
The maximum usable length of the shovel when the shaft is fully extended.