MEC Sidetrip Jacket - Men's
Ready for the rainy season? The Sidetrip Jacket deals with mountain weather that storms into cities and towns. It's constructed with a technical 2.5 layer laminate and finished with a matte texture that won't look out of place when worn with jeans or dressier outfits. Suited to moderate activity, the DWR treatment, microporous coating and taped seams are fully waterproof, but don't provide the high levels of breathability you'd find in an alpine shell. A tailored hip-length cut offers coverage and the cuffs, hem and hood can be adjusted to suit conditions.
- Fabric is 55-denier nylon twill that uses 2.5-layer waterproof-breathable construction and a polyurethane inner.
- Treated with DWR (durable water repellent) and finished with taped seams, it keeps out all types of wetness.
- 3-panel hood has a shockcord adjustment to seal out the wind.
- Front zip has a leather pull and is covered with storm flap that snaps closed.
- 2 zippered hand pockets.
- Partial elastic cuffs have a snap adjustment.
- Shockcord hem adapts the fit.
|Ideal for||Casual wear|
|Technology||Microporous PU coating|
|Face fabric||55-denier nylon|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
- Measure fullest circumference, keeping tape up under arms and across shoulder blades.
- Measure at the narrowest circumference of your waist.
- Stand with feet together and measure at fullest circumference.
- Arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist.
- Tall arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist. Not all styles available in 'tall'.