MEC Aleutian Parka - Women's
The Aleutian Parka wraps you up warmly for expeditions downtown. The insulation is slimmed down through the hood and arms, and a little heavier around your core. A tall collar protects you from gusts and the rudeness of blowing snow. The removable faux-fur trim gives a traditional parka style, or comes off when you want more urban chic. Lined pockets for your hands and one to stash your phone.
- Made of polyester with a matte finish on the upper and a subtle herringbone print on the lower, and a 2-layer waterproof breathable PU laminate with fully taped seams.
- 260g MEC Hyperloft synthetic insulation in the body,180g in arms and hood for freedom of movement.
- Recycled polyester taffeta lining glides over layers.
- Insulated adjustable hood has removable faux-fur trim.
- Separate stand up collar acts as a wind break, even with the hood down.
- YKK 2-way zipper has storm placket, hidden snap closure and interior wind flap to keep out gusts.
- Cargo style front pockets have hidden zippered handwarmer pockets with cozy fleece lining.
- Zippered internal chest pocket holds your phone.
- Stretchy internal storm cuffs seal in heat.
- Falls to just above the knees and has a kick vent in the back for easy striding.
Technical garments, designed for specific activities have features that aren’t always adaptable to general use. For example, cycling clothing is longer in the back and arms. Activity aside, the fit of MEC clothing falls into these categories:
|Ideal for||Casual winter wear|
|Insulation||260g/sq. m polyester (body) + 180g/sq. m polyester(arms)|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
- Measure fullest circumference, keeping tape up under arms and across shoulder blades.
- Natural waist
- Measure at the narrowest circumference of your waist.
- Stand with feet together and measure at fullest circumference.
- Arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist.
- Petite arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist. Petite size garments are also proportionally shorter overall. Not all styles are available in 'petite'.