MEC Nineteen Seventy-One Bicycle - Unisex
Unavailable online. Check your local store for availability.
Price match guarantee
Found a better deal in Canada? Up to 30 days after purchase – we’ll match it.
If you see a lower price for this exact item advertised online, in print or in a store, give us a call at 1 (888) 847-0770.
If it’s identical, brand-new, in stock, and sold and shipped by a Canadian-based retailer, we’ll match that price.
Explore the open road on two wheels. This multi-purpose bike can also be used for general city riding, cyclocross, or long-haul touring. Named for the year the MEC was founded, the Nineteen Seventy One exemplifies our purpose – to inspire people to get outside. A tough-as-nails aluminum frame with classic stable geometry is at home trekking across Canada or noodling in the bike lane. Generous tire clearance, disc brakes and wide gear range means it won't disappoint when pushing it at your local cross race. No fuss Sora shifters mated to Sora deraileurs get the job done. Its simple kit makes it easy to work on and maintain, and as any touring bike should, it features all attachment points for racks, fenders and whatever else is required.
- 7000-series aluminum frame is lightweight and strong enough to withstand a wide range of riding conditions.
- Aluminum fork is lightweight and super tough.
- Long wheelbase and relaxed frame geometry provide a stable, predictable ride.
- Shimano Sora shifters/deraileurs linked to 50-39-30T crank and 12-30T cassette offer a gear range for all terrain.
- Mechanical disc brakes are powerful and reliable in all conditions.
- Threaded fittings make it easy to attach racks, fenders, and water bottles.
- Tire clearance easily accommodates big volume tires and fenders.
- 700C rims mated to Deore disc hubs.
- MEC bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC bike shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes are designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||FSA Omega 31.8mm +/- 6º|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||FSA Omega Compact 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|TRP Spyre (mechanical disc)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Sora|
|Crank + rings||FSA Omega 50-39-30T|
|Bottom bracket||FSA Mega Exo|
|Hub (front)||Shimano FH-M525|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano Tiagra 9-speed 12-30T|
|Tires||Clement X'Plor USH 700 x 35|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Shadow|
How to measure
- Standover (J)
- Distance from the ground surface to the top of the top tube. Measured at the mid-point of the top tube, or where the rider would be standing when straddling the bike. This measurement should be 2-3cm shorter than your inseam.