MEC Steepside Jacket - Men's
Shop with confidence. If it's not working out like you expected, you can return it.
Really. If it's not up to snuff after you use it (a couple times) you can still bring it back.
It lasts longer than 30 days, but not forever. We'll be fair about it. We're all members here.
Price match guarantee
Found a better deal in Canada? Up to 30 days after purchase – we’ll match it.
If you see a lower price for this exact item advertised online, in print or in a store, give us a call at 1 (888) 847-0770.
If it’s identical, brand-new, in stock, and sold and shipped by a Canadian-based retailer, we’ll match that price.
Sorry, this product is no longer available
Part of MEC's Boundary collection, the Steepside combines backcountry-grade insulation with slope-ready aesthetics. Insulated with synthetics for exceptional warmth, this waterproof jacket has great mobility, even with a base layer. The fully adjustable hood features a stiffened brim to keep your vision unobstructed during flurries and on bluebird afternoons. Ideal for resort or side riding, the Steepside encourages free-form shredding through all-mountain conditions.
- Fabric is waterproof-breathable 2-layer polyester with polyurethane laminate, a brushed inner face, and a DWR finish.
- Seam taped for full waterproof protection.
- Hyperloft synthetic insulation is 80g in body and sleeves, 60g in hood.
- Helmet compatible hood has a stiffened brim and drawcord adjustment with cordlocks at front and back.
- Zippered fleece-lined handwarmer pockets provide secure storage.
- Interior zippered pocket for your phone and large elasticized drop in pocket for your goggles.
- Powder skirt has a tab for attaching compatible snow pants.
- Weather resistant zippers prevent water from seeping through.
- Underarm zips for self-regulated cooling.
- Built-in Recco® Rescue System reflector allows ski patrol and mountain rescue teams to detect and locate Recco reflectors under snow. Useful for resort skiing, Recco technology is not a substitute for skills training, beacons, essential gear, or smart decision-making in the backcountry.
|Ideal for||Downhill skiing|
|Face fabric||150-denier polyester|
|Insulation||80g/sq. m polyester|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
|Venting||Mesh-lined underarm vents|
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
|Product sustainability||Bluesign® Approved Material|
How to measure
- Measure fullest circumference, keeping tape up under arms and across shoulder blades.
- Measure at the narrowest circumference of your waist.
- Stand with feet together and measure at fullest circumference.
- Arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist.
- Tall arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist. Not all styles available in 'tall'.