MEC Khione 2L Shell Jacket - Women's
Striking a nice balance between performance outerwear and street-worthy style, the Khione Shell (named for a goddess who presides over snow and frozen realms) is a waterproof-breathable 2-layer jacket that's great if snow riding is your go-to winter sport. Ski-specific features include fully taped seams, zippered underarm vents, helmet compatible hood, powder skirt and dedicated goggle pocket.
- Fabric is a 2-layer polyester with a waterproof-breathable PU laminate, a DWR finish and fully taped seams to seal out water.
- Ripstop recycled polyester lining features a DWR finish.
- Hood features a stiffened brim and is helmet compatible.
- Front zip is water resistant with a fleeced chin guard.
- Mesh lined underarm zips use water-resistant Uretek coated zippers
- 2 zippered hand pockets with water-resistant zippers.
- Internal drop-in pocket and internal zippered pocket houses your phone or goggles.
- 2 zippered chest pockets.
- Powder skirt with gripper elastic has a loop for attaching to compatible snow pants.
- Drawcord hems to tune the fit.
- Built-in Recco® Rescue System reflector allows ski patrol and mountain rescue to detect and locate Recco reflectors under snow. Recco technology is not a substitute for skills training, beacons, essential gear, or smart decision-making in the backcountry.
|Ideal for||Downhill skiing|
|Technology||Microporous PU laminate|
|Face fabric||75-denier polyester|
Fabric waterproof rating
The standard test for waterproof fabrics uses a standing column filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A rating of 3,500mm or higher can be considered waterproof. The higher the rating, the more durable the waterproof fabric will be over time.
Waterproof garments use waterproof-breathable technologies and are fully seam-taped. Water-resistant garments use waterproof-breathable technologies but their seams are not taped. Water-resistant garments repel water and protect against wind but are not made of waterproof fabric.
|Waterproof with fully taped seams|
Fabric active breathability
The rate at which a waterproof breathable fabric expels moisture when the inner surface is moist from perspiration. Values under 8,000g/m2/24h provide low performance, 20,000g/m2/24h provide moderate performance and values over 30,000g/m2/24h provide high performance.
A windproof garment does not allow any air to permeate the fabric. A garment with windproof panels has panels of fabric that are totally windproof, but the rest of the garment may not be windproof. A wind-resistant garment resists some wind, but not as much as a garment that is windproof.
Durable water repellency
Usually referred to as DWR. A treatment made to fabrics that causes water to bead and run off instead of soaking through.
- Measure fullest circumference, keeping tape up under arms and across shoulder blades.
- Natural waist
- Measure at the narrowest circumference of your waist.
- Stand with feet together and measure at fullest circumference.
- Arm length
- Bend elbow gently, then measure from centre of back of neck out to point of shoulder, down to back of elbow, and forward to wrist.