A multi-purpose shaft that accepts a shovel blade and an axe head. Call it an axvel, call it a shaxe, either way it drops weight and frees up space in your pack where you can slot in a few extra pickets, ice screws or a flask of 12-year-old single malt.
- Rectangular-section shovel blade is designed without a neck so it lays flat and compact in your bag.
- Slots in the shovel blade allow you to use your own 5mm accessory cord to build a deadman anchor.
- Oval shaft and welded shaft-shovel interface construction are durable and strong.
- Axe pick is made of 7075 T6 aluminum and is tested to EN13089 standards for B-rated (Type 1 Basic) ice axes.
- Assembled axe is 51cm long and weighs 290g. Assembled shovel is 70cm long and weighs 654g.
|Blade material||Aluminum alloy|
D-grips provide better comfort and control but are bulkier than T-grips which are more compact for storage in a pack.
|Blade dimensions||28.5 x 24cm|
Maximum usable length
The maximum usable length of the shovel when the shaft is fully extended.