A player in the action camera market for years, Garmin brings knowledge and experience to the most feature-rich VIRB to date. The Ultra 30 is a significant evolution, with a ton of onboard sensors, voice controls, WiFi live streaming and networking. Its internal and external sensor support really set it apart from other action cameras. Without pairing it with any additional sensors, it provides speed, pace, altitude, G-force, hang time, jump height and distance, and lap times (automatic/cc, manual). With optional sensors (heart rate belts or power meters) it takes in even more metrics that can be overlaid directly into your video for next-level content. The Ultra 30 also has a robust photo mode for taking pictures while filming and even a burst mode for stopping the action.
- Voice controls allow instant access to recording video, taking photos, and marking key events.
- WiFi connection allows livestreaming over home networks, or mobile when used on i/OS devices (Android support planned)
- Internal sensors (GPS, compass, barometer, gyroscope, and accelerometer) record a variety of metrics, Bluetooth and ANT+ allow external sensors for even more, that you can overlay on your videos.
- Dedicated photo button allows instant access to 12 megapixel pictures through the f/2.6 lens. Burst mode allows up to 60 frames per second at 8mp. Pictures can even be taken while filming in most resolutions.
- Video resolution and framerate options, from 4K and 30fps through to 480p at 300fps.
- Pro mode grants access to advanced controls like exposure, white balance, ISO and more, there is even a live preview window that shows the effects the changes are having. Settings can be saved under different profiles, great for having multiple pre-sets for different conditions and activities.
- Free VirbEdit app, available for both mobile and desktop, allows editing, data overlay, camera control and more.
- 4.4 cm rear colour touchscreen provides a live preview as well as access to menus and controls.
- Rugged hard case provides up to 40m waterproofing, all while letting you use the touchscreen and allowing the high-sensitivity microphone to work.
- 3-axis electronic Image stabilization (up to 1440p) works by cropping a portion of a higher resolution image down, providing a crisp blur-free image.
- Travelapse mode works with the onboard GPS taking a new image each time a specified distance interval is reached. Regular time-lapse functionality is also available.
|Instant on-record switch||Yes|
Interval photo mode
The interval, in seconds, at which you can set the camera to take pictures.
Allows setting a level horizon regardless of camera orientation.
Indicates the degree of protection against liquid. IP X1: Dripping water while in normal operating orientation; IP X4: Splashing water; IP X5: Water jets; IP X6: Powerful water jets; IP X7: Immersion up to 1m ≤ 30 minutes; IP X8: Suitable for submersion as specified by manufacturer.
|IP X8 (with included case)|
|Dimensions||5.8 x 3.1 x 4.6cm|
Maximum memory capacity
The maximum additional memory accepted by the device.
|Data card||microSD card (not included)|
|GPS image tagging||Yes|
Laser image alignment
Built-in laser allows for setting an accurate video horizon line.
|Batteries||Lithium-ion 1250mAh (included)|
|Still photo mode||Yes|
|Tripod mount||Sold separately|
Ensures seamless digital wireless communication between ANT+ devices. For example, data from an ultra-low power wireless sensor can be displayed on a bike computer or smartphone, then downloaded to a PC, etc.