Intense 2018 Spider Al. Foundation Bike - Unisex
Our friends at Intense Cycles gave MEC an exclusive deal on these aluminum-frame Spiders, and we're passing on the savings to our members. (Check out that price!) What they made is a fast and flickable rocket for flowy trails and XC precision. The secret to the Spider's eagerness lies in the efficient suspension link system that allows for compact chainstays and a shortened wheelbase. Expect mind-bending acceleration and a stiff, responsive feel when mashing steep climbs. The Foundation Build offers a selection of reliable SRAM components and buttery smooth suspension: RockShox Revelation RC fork with 140mm of travel to soak up chuddery sections, and 115–130 adjustable Monarch RL rear shock to smooth rowdy descents. The 27.5 wheelset hits the sweet spot between a nimble ride and a fast-rolling pace.
- Hydroformed alloy frame is lightweight, fast and strong.
- i-BOX Pivot System allows for compact seatstays and a shortened wheelbase for a remarkably nimble and efficient ride.
- Angular Contact/Collet Bearing System makes for easy maintenance.
- 148x12mm spacing in the rear and 110x15mm in the front boosts stiffness.
- JS Tuned rear linkage results in an efficient and balanced ride when climbing or descending.
- Tapered headtube shaves grams and improves stiffness.
- Flack guard protects the downtube and chainstays from chain slap and rock lift-off.
- RockShox Revelation RC fork with 140mm of travel is tuneable and can be locked out.
- RockShox Monarch RL rear shock is adjustable between 115 and 130mm.
- Internal routing prevents cable rattle and keeps them protected.
- Tubeless ready 27.5in. Race Face AR Rims are laced on Intense Tuned hubs with DT Swiss Champion spokes.
- Maxxis Forekaster tires are 2.35in. wide and ready for any weather.
- X-Fusion Manic dropper seatpost with 150mm of travel.
- A mix of SRAM NX and GX components makes this 1x11 groupset crisp and reliable in all conditions.
- Race Face Aeffect crank is designed for agressive trail riding, with a XC crank weight.
- Shimano M500 hydraulic brakes with 180 and 160mm rotors in the front and rear, respectively.
- WTB Silverado Sport saddle.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your Intense Bike to any MEC bike shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for 2 years after purchase.
- Buy an Intense bike, get 2 years of free top-level bike service that includes: drivetrain tune-ups, wheel truing, 2 brake bleeds, 2 fork and shock services and minor part installs.
- Includes an Intense gift box with over $150 of free stuff – like a torque wrench set, shock pump, and extra valve stems for going tubeless.
- Based in Temecula, California, Intense Cycles have been building aggressive, game-changing and flat-out rad mountain bikes since 1993.
|Ideal for||Trail riding|
|Frame||Intense Spider 27.5 aluminum|
|Fork||RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air|
|Rear shock||RockShox Monarch RL|
|Stem||Intense Recon 45mm 31.8mm|
|Seatpost||X-Fusion Manic with 150mm travel|
|Handlebars||Intense Recon 780mm 31.8mm|
|Grips/tape||Intense Dual Density Lock-on|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Shimano M500 (hydraulic disc)|
|Brake levers||Shimano M500 Disc|
|Derailleur (rear)||SRAM GX|
|Crank + rings||Race Face Aeffect 32T|
|Bottom bracket||RaceFace BB92|
|Hub (front)||Intense Tuned|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|SRAM NX 11-speed 11-42T|
|Rims||Race Face AR 24|
|Tires||Maxxis Forekaster 27.5 x 2.35|
|Saddle||WTB Silverado Sport|
How to measure
- Standover (J)
- Distance from the ground surface to the top of the top tube. Measured at the mid-point of the top tube, or where the rider would be standing when straddling the bike. This measurement should be 2-3cm shorter than your inseam.