For gram-obsessed hikers who hanker after a comfortable pack, the Optic 48 isn't quite as light as a garage-made cuben fiber model, but it's definitely on the light side for a pack with comfortable suspension. 48L capacity suits ultralighters heading out on summer multi-day trips. Its max recommended load of 14kg, means you'll have put lightweight gear inside it, but the big thing to know is that it weighs just over 1kg! Plus you can strip off the rain cover and lid to take it down just a few more grams.
- Aerospan suspension uses a tensioned 7001 aluminum perimeter frame with anti-barrelling support for comfortable carrying.
- Hipbelt and lumbar pad use body-mapped EVA foam with more padding in key areas to reduce pressure points and less in others to save weight.
- Shallow-depth trampoline style back panel lets air flow around your back.
- All body-contact surfaces use moisture wicking fabrics to keep you cool and dry.
- Access the main compartment via a one-handed drawstring closure.
- Floating top lid with 2 pockets is removable. Swap it out for the included minimalist weather proof lid, or go lidless in nice weather.
- Large stretch front pocket for on-the-go gear or segregating a wet tent fly.
- Stretch side pockets can be loaded from the side to access water bottles while you hike or from the top to carry sandals or tent poles.
- Zipper hip belt pockets keep snacks or your phone easy to grab.
- Loop on the shoulder strap holds your sunglasses, 2 on the back hold your trekking poles or ice axe.
- Low-profile, zig-zag compression straps on the sides and bottom compress the load or let you lash on extra gear.
- Hydration compatible with interior sleeve, port and loops to hold your hose. Reservoir sold separately.
- Includes a lightweight custom fitted rain cover.
|Main fabric||210-denier ripstop nylon|
The location of all access points into the main compartment of the pack.
Some pack lids can be adjusted to compensate for overloaded packs, or even removed, and some removeable lids have tuck-away hipbelts that allow youto use them as a waistpack.
|Ventilated back panel||Yes|
Adjustable shoulder harness
An adjustable harness lets you change the height of the shoulder straps to fit your specific back length.
The hipbelt and/or shoulder straps of the pack are designed to move, pivot or flex to follow your body’s movements. Each brand uses their own technology.
Size restrictions vary among airlines. Just to be sure, check with your carrier for their specific restrictions.