With its sleek silhouette and timeless colours, this 3 series looks good on the trails, at the office, and everywhere in between. Suunto’s new 3 series uses the GPS you’re already carrying (your phone) to tell you more about how you train. GPS data gives you access to your distance covered, speed metrics and more. The free Suunto app lets your smartphone communicate with your watch, and it provides access to more than just a GPS signal – it sends notifications, reminders and messages right to your watch. The 3 Fitness Gold features an optical heart rate monitor that takes pulse information straight off your wrist, doing away with the need to wear a finicky chest strap. As it learns your current activity level, the 3 Fitness Gold provides you with a personalized training plan that offers live updates, letting you know when to go harder or to slow down. It also adapts if you miss a workout, or if you crush it a bit harder than you have before. If a training plan isn’t your style, the 3 series is preloaded with 70 different activity profiles – there's one for everyone, unless you're into something really niche. When you're not training, the 3 Fitness Gold's activity tracker functionality keeps track of your steps and calories, and monitors the quality of your sleep at night. It then takes all of your data into consideration when calculating recovery times and tracking progress.
- Equipped with Valencell’s optical heart rate monitor (version 1.2), which provides more reliable constant heart rate data, and allows you to train without a chest strap. This sensor even works while swimming!
- Optical heart rate sensors measure changes in blood volume under the skin, and work best when worn snugly, 1 to 3 finger-widths above your wrist bone.
- Spot check your heart rate at any point and receive a graph of 10 minutes’ or 12 hours’ worth of heart rate data. During an activity, heart rate data is collected every second.
- Personalized training plans and intensities based on your activity level help you refine your training for maximum efficiency.
- Training plans adapt on the fly, perfect if you miss a day, or give 'er harder than you had planned to.
- Loaded with 70 different sport modes, from running, swimming, cycling and more – there's a sport-specific mode for nearly every activity.
- FusedSpeed™ combines GPS and accelerometer data to provide a more stable running pace.
- Internal accelerometer tracks your running pace and distance on those days you want to leave the phone at home.
- Physiological metrics include VO2 max estimate and recovery advisor.
- Free Suunto app lets you review training sessions and customize your 3 series experience.
- Export completed workout data (.gpx files) through the free Sport Tracker app.
- Stress levels monitor heart rate variability while inactive to produce a stress evaluation: the lower the score, the lower your stress.
- 24/7 activity tracking lets it learn your activity level and guide you towards a more active lifestyle.
- Records and logs up to 7 days worth of step and calorie data.
- Onboard sleep tracking mode monitors your rest, letting you see your total sleep hours and giving you a report on your night’s sleep once it detects you have woken up.
- Logs up to 7 days of sleep data.
- No GPS means light and slim. At just 14mm high and 36g, you can forget you're even wearing it.
- Multiple watch faces to choose from, so you can customize your watch.
- Bluetooth Smart connects to fitness sensors, from heart rate monitors to bike speed and cadence sensors, as well as smartphones featuring Bluetooth 4.0. Note: 3 Fitness will only connect to Bluetooth Smart sensors.
- Automatically syncs data to paired smartphones running the free Suunto app.
- Smart notifications (emails, texts, alerts and more) come in via Bluetooth connection to a compatible smartphone.
- Free software updates add functionality and improve performance.
- Fits wrists 12-21cm.
Polycarbonate is inexpensive and light, with good clarity and wear-resistance. Mineral crystal glass offers greater clarity and significantly greater wear-resistance. Sapphire crystal is better still for clarity and wear-resistance.
|Wrist strap material||Silicone|
Indicates the degree of protection against liquid. IP X1: Dripping water while in normal operating orientation; IP X4: Splashing water; IP X5: Water jets; IP X6: Powerful water jets; IP X7: Immersion up to 1m ≤ 30 minutes; IP X8: Suitable for submersion as specified by manufacturer.
|12/24 hour format||Yes|
|Metric/imperial units format||Yes|
|Interface||USB and Wireless|
|Low battery warning||Yes|
Calculated based on data from a heart rate monitor.
Attaches to your shoe, captures your running data (i.e., pace, distance), and transmits it to your heart rate monitor or GPS.
Want an easy jog? A fast-paced ride? A workout with lots of variety to keep you on your toes? With programmable workouts you can tailor your training to match whatever you are looking for on a particular day.
|Heart rate monitor||Yes|
Heart rate target zones
Displays heart rate zones during activity.
A coded instrument ensures no interference between your chest strap and your watch, necessary if you are training in busy gyms or trails where other signals may be encountered.
Allows user to monitor training goals with either a virtual partner or alarms.
Heart rate in real time
Displays beats per minute during activity.
|Replaceable wrist strap||Yes|
Calories in real time
Displays calorie expenditure during activity, based on heart rate monitor data.
Monitors pedalling cadence and measures pedalling strokes per minute.
Ensures seamless digital wireless communication between ANT+ devices. For example, data from an ultra-low power wireless sensor can be displayed on a bike computer or smartphone, then downloaded to a PC, etc.
|Battery life||30-240 h|
|Chest strap||Sold separately|