This simple shelter has enough livable room to make it nicer than just a sleep pod. The Freelite series includes MSR's lightest partially freestanding tents, great for weekend backcountry trips. The big doors and mesh canopy add a spacious feel, and the pared-back design and ultralight materials suit those who like to move freely with a "just right"–sized pack. The simple design has 2 vestibules and D-shaped doors, with enough room for a pair of standard sleeping pads and some gear.
- Full mesh canopy for lots of ventilation and low weight.
- Hubbed pole design creates near-vertical walls that let you sit up.
- Composite Easton Syclone poles flex under heavy winds, then bounce back to their original shape
- MSR's Xtreme Shield waterproof coating on the fly and floor does away with conventional seam taping and won't degrade like traditional PU coatings.
- Fly and floor are made of super-lightweight 15-denier nylon ripstop that's moderately durable, though a footprint is recommended for rough ground and longer trips.
- Interior has loops for attaching a gear loft and has a mesh pocket.
- For ultralight missions, pitch with just the rain fly and the Fast & Light Body or MSR Universal 2 Regular footprint (both sold separately) to save weight.
The number of average sized people that the product can comfortably sleep.
|Canopy mesh||10-denier nylon mesh|
|Floor fabric||15-denier nylon ripstop|
The standard test for coated fabrics uses a standing pipe (column) filled with water. The figures given are the water column height. A 1000mm coating allowed no leaks after 1 minute under 1000mm of water.
|Fly fabric||15-denier nylon ripstop|
|Fly coating||Silicone and polyurethane|
The standard test for coated fabrics uses a standing column (a pipe) filled with water. The figures given are the column height. A 1000mm coating allowed no leaks after 1 minute under 1000mm of water.
A measurement based on the longest point of the tent.
A measurement based on the widest points of the tent.
Square metre measurement of a tent’s usable space. Does not include vestibules.
|Interior peak height||0.91m|
Includes just the tent, poles, and the fewest pegs and guylines needed to properly set it up.
|Vestibule area (secondary)||0.81sq. m|
|Vestibule area (primary)||0.81sq. m|
These tents can be set up without stakes or pegs on any type of ground. All tents should be anchored or weighted, so they don't blow away.