MEC 1971 Bicycle - Unisex
Price match guarantee
Found a better deal in Canada? Up to 30 days after purchase – we’ll match it.
If you see a lower price for this exact item advertised online, in print or in a store, give us a call at 1 (888) 847-0770.
If it’s identical, brand-new, in stock, and sold and shipped by a Canadian-based retailer, we’ll match that price.
Explore the open road on two wheels. This multi-purpose bike can also be used for general city riding, cyclocross or long-haul touring. Named for the year the MEC was founded, the 1971 exemplifies our purpose – to inspire people to get outside. A tough-as-nails aluminum frame with classic stable geometry is at home touring across Canada or noodling in the bike lane. With clearance for tires up to 38mm wide, disc brakes and a wide gear range , it won't disappoint when you're pushing it at your local cross race. With the updated Sora R3000 groupset, you can expect crisp and reliable shifting. Its simple kit makes it easy to work on and maintain, and as any touring bike should, it features all attachment points for racks, fenders and whatever else is required.
- 7000-series aluminum frame is lightweight and strong enough to withstand a wide range of riding conditions.
- Cro-moly fork is super tough and outfitted with mounting points for fenders and racks.
- Long wheelbase and relaxed frame geometry provide a stable, predictable ride.
- Shimano® Sora R3000 shifters and derailleurs provide crisp shifting.
- Shimano Sora 50-34T crankset and 11-34T cassette offer a range of gears for all terrain.
- TRP Spyre C mechanical disc brakes are powerful, low-profile and reliable in all conditions.
- MEC Adventure bars feature a 12° flare for comfort and stability when riding in the drops.
- Multiple braze-ons make it easy to attach racks, fenders and water bottles.
- Tire clearance accommodates tires up to 38mm in width and fenders.
- Wider-than-average rims provide extra control, comfort and durability.
- Time-tested Shimano Deore hubs and DT Champion spokes go into wheels ideal for bike touring.
- MEC bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC bike shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes are designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||MEC Performance 31.8mm 7°|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||MEC Adventure 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|TRP Spyre C (mechanical disc)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Sora|
|Crank + rings||Shimano Sora 50-34T|
|Bottom bracket||Shimano Sora|
|Hub (front)||Shimano HB-M525|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano CS-HG300 9-speed 11-34T|
|Tires||Donnelly X'Plor USH 700 x 35|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Shadow|