303 Portage Avenue
Thursday Open 10:00am – 9:00pm
|Thursday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
|Friday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
|Saturday||10:00am - 6:00pm|
|Sunday||10:00am - 6:00pm|
|Monday||10:00am - 7:00pm|
|Tuesday||10:00am - 7:00pm|
|Wednesday||10:00am - 7:00pm|
We are following the advice and guidance of local health authorities to ensure we are providing the safest possible environment to MEC members and staff.
We aim to provide a safe environment that respects everyone’s comfort level and risk tolerance. Thanks for looking out for each other.
Order online and pick up at this location.
You can return products to any store.
MEC is closely monitoring provincial government guidelines to ensure the safety of all members and staff.
- Masks are optional for staff and customers. We support every individual’s personal preference and model our respect for those choices in how we treat each other.
- Hand sanitizer stations are set up for members and staff to use.
- Staff practice and promote everyday preventive behaviours including frequent hand washing and social distancing.
- Common areas including doors, staircases, cash desks, and bike fitting areas are regularly disinfected.
- Cleaning processes are enhanced for the entire store.
- Plexiglass shields are installed at cashier stations.
- Climbing walls and play areas are temporarily closed.
- Clinics and events are being offered, community room bookings are available.
- Rental services are paused.
- Repair shops are open for all bike and ski services.
Facilities and supply chain
- We remain committed to our responsible sourcing practices. MEC continues to uphold standards for the health and safety of people who make and distribute the products we sell.
Repairs and recycling
For the safety of staff and members, we are pausing in-store gear repair services for a while. Thanks for your understanding. Want to try some repairs on your own? Learn how to fix your own gear with these how-to articles and videos on popular gear repair topics.
If you bought any of the items below at MEC, you can bring them back to our store for recycling:
- Batteries (no broken or corroded ones please).
- Bike tires and tubes – they can get ground up for tarmac or playground surfaces.
Have a question about something that’s not on the list above? Give us a call or contact your local municipal recycling program.
Green building features
MEC Winnipeg opened in 2002. Before we moved in, it was the site of three buildings – two of them too dilapidated to be occupied. The buildings were carefully dismantled, and the materials were meticulously inventoried and used to build new sections of the store. About 95% of the existing buildings got reused or recycled in some form.
MEC Winnipeg is LEED Gold certified, and was the second retail building in Canada to meet the national C2000 Green Building Standard (the first was MEC Ottawa). All the energy-saving features in the store make it 65% more efficient than the standards set out in the Model National Energy Code. Here are some of the green features:
- Almost 4000 tonnes of material in the existing buildings was diverted from the landfill.
- All structural materials were reclaimed, including the brick and wood floor, joists, exterior masonry, cast iron columns and steel beams.
- To cut down on new materials required, the ceiling’s exposed, the floors are uncarpeted, and we used minimum drywall.
- Composting toilets provide fertilizer for our rooftop garden. Plus they cut down waste water volume by more than half (which saves 73 cubic meters of water each year).
- CO2 sensors keep a good balance of fresh air coming in, so energy isn’t wasted in heating or cooling.
- To reduce heat loss and energy consumption, outer walls are insulated to an R value of 30, more than twice the R12 called for in the building code.
- A central skylight means we don’t need as much artificial lighting. The lights we do have are high-efficiency with motion sensors to turn them off if no one’s around.
- The green roof provides evaporative cooling and also helps insulate building, which cuts down on energy for heating and cooling.
MEC aims to maximize efficiency and minimize environmental impacts in our stores. Learn more about our green buildings.
Professional ski and snowboard shop services to set you up for the season. Some services may not be available year-round. Call us to set up a visit.
Buy two of the big three – board/skis, bindings, boots – from MEC and we’ll mount your bindings for free. This offer applies to all types of snowboard and ski equipment sold at MEC. If you’re shopping online, take advantage of this deal by calling your store to arrange an appointment to mount your bindings before you visit. Our ski techs get busy, and we don’t want to let you down.
|Binding removal (with purchase of new binding or skis)||Free|
|General repairs, minimum shop charge is $5||$70/hr|
|Hot wax (machine)||$15|
|Hot wax (hand)||$35|
|Machine sharpen and wax||$35|
|Pine tar, call for availability||$30|
|Skin trim (length only)||$10|
|Skin fit and shaping (length and width), call for availability||$25|
|Boot liner moulding (free with boot purchase)||$20|
|Boot punching (first punch)||$50|
|Boot punching (additional punch)||$25|
|Rivet replacement (per rivet)||$15/unit|
|Binding strap replacement (per strap)||$15/unit|
Your local MEC store is more than just a place to get gear – it’s a hub for your outdoor community. MEC All Out (our community program) has all kinds of ways to help you get outside:
Year-round, MEC offers low cost (or even free) clinics and workshops. Find MEC events near you see what’s happening in store, learn new outdoor skills from friendly staff instructors, and spark ideas for your next outdoor trip.
Grants and donations
Our community program has given tens of millions of dollars to help people in Canada get active outdoors. Have an awesome outdoor idea? Check out our community grants and grassroots product donations for criteria and applications.
Free display space
We’re taking precautionary steps due to COVID-19, and pausing all bookings of the Community Room for the moment. We take your health seriously and are following the recommendations of public health agencies to practice social distancing and limit gatherings. We will continue to monitor and reassess the situation as it evolves. For groups with a current booking, we’ll contact you by email to ensure you can plan accordingly.
Not-for-profit groups and local clubs that share MEC values can use our floor space to tell people what’s going on. Let people know about outdoor issues, collect input on plans, or just get the word out about your club. For more info, please email email@example.com or phone the store.
You can park for free for 1 hour with a $10 minimum purchase at MEC at the following location:
- Indigo Lot, 329 Hargrave Street
Our bike shop mechanics can do it all, from installing fenders to building wheels from scratch. We offer a full range of repair services, including minor adjustments and repairs, component upgrades, suspension work, tune-ups and major overhauls.
We fix all kinds of bikes: commuter, road, e-bikes, gravel, mountain and kids. Not sure what you need? Bring in your bike for a free safety inspection and we’ll let you know.