Explore your streets with an urban bike named Desire. Ride to work. Roll to school. Take it out for a quick spin to the store. It's easy to use, easy to love, and best of all, easy to maintain. The rear internal 8-speed hub doesn't require frequent cleaning and allows you to switch gears anytime. If your routes involve lots of climbing, it might not be the best choice, but with larger diameter wheels and a light aluminum frame, the Desire will take you smoothly along city streets and tame gravel roads.
- Lightweight, aluminum frame.
- 700 x 35mm tires are built for rolling on roads and dirt roads, pathways, or light trail use.
- Simano® Acera V-brakes (rim brakes) provide great stopping power.
- Instead of derailleurs and cassettes, the Desire uses a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internally-geared rear hub which allows you to shift gears at anytime, even while waiting at a stop light.
- Upright seated position for visibility in traffic.
- MEC Ergo grips provide less pressure on palms and wide, flat tops offer even weight distribution.
- Waterproof-coated Selle Royal Freccia saddle with gel padding to absorb shock.
- MEC Trekking pedals can be fitted with toeclips and straps.
- Shimano Acera components.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes were designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||MEC AS-021 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||MEC City Riser 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Shimano Acera (V-brake rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Acera|
|Shifters||Shimano Nexus Revo|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Nexus|
|Crank + rings||RPM City Single 42T|
|Bottom bracket||RPM 7420|
|Hub (front)||Shimano Altus|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
|Shimano Nexus 8-speed|
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano Alfine 18T|
|Rims||Alex ACE 18|
|Tires||Kenda Trekking 700 x 35|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Freccia|