Explore the open road on two wheels. This multi-purpose bike can also be used for general city riding, cyclocross, or long-haul touring. Named after the year the Co-op was founded, the Nineteen Seventy One exemplifies MEC's core purpose – to inspire people to get outside. It's designed to be comfortable for hours of riding and adaptable to riding on pavement, over country roads, up hills, and into headwinds.
- Lightweight 7005 aluminum frame.
- Longer wheelbase and relaxed frame geometry provide a stable, predictable ride.
- FSA Omega 50-39-30T triple crank with Shimano® 12-27 9-speed cassette provide plenty of gear options for powering up hills and over flat terrain.
- Shimano Sora components.
- Larger diameter (700) wheels roll efficiently. 32mm tires protect the rims and resist pinch flats.
- Threaded fittings make it easy to attach racks, fenders, and water bottles.
- Lots of clearance between the frame and wheel to accommodate fenders.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes were designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
Geometry influences comfort, efficiency, and how the bike handles, particularly its steering.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||Easton EA30 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||Easton EA30 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Avid Shorty 4 (V-brake rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (front)||Shimano Sora|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Sora|
|Crank + rings||FSA Omega 50-39-30T|
|Bottom bracket||FSA Mega Exo|
|Hub (front)||Road Disc|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano Tiagra 9-speed 12-27T|
|Rims||Mavic CXP22 S|
|Tires||Continental Tour Ride 700 x 32|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Viper|