111 2nd Ave East
Vancouver, British Columbia
Tuesday Open 10:00am – 9:00pm
|Tuesday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
|Wednesday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
|Thursday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
|Friday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
|Saturday||9:00am - 7:00pm|
|Sunday||9:00am - 7:00pm|
|Monday||10:00am - 9:00pm|
Want to try out gear or whole new activity? Check out gear rentals at MEC. Give the store a call to see what’s available and come by to book your rental in-person.
Rentals are first come, first serve. Bookings are 4- or 8-hour slots with options to extend. Limited rental gear quantities available.
At this store, you can rent:
|Rental gear||4-hour rental||8-hour rental|
|Eleven Six Ultralight Inflatable SUP with leash, PFD, safety kit||$40||$60|
|Ten Six Ultralight Inflatable SUP Package with leash, PFD, safety kit||$40||$60|
|MEC Chinook Bicycle with helmet, lock, lights||$30||$50|
|MEC Midtown Step-Through Bicycle with helmet, lock, lights||$30||$50|
Repairs and recycling
For the safety of staff and members, we are pausing in-store gear repair services for a while. Thanks for your understanding. Want to try some repairs on your own? Learn how to fix your own gear with these how-to articles and videos on popular gear repair topics.
If you bought any of the items below at MEC, you can bring them back to our store for recycling:
- Household batteries (no broken or corroded ones please)
- Bicycle tires and tubes
- Climbing rope – it could become dog leashes, acoustic insulation or stuffing
Due to safety concerns, we do not accept used flammable goods, including camping gas canisters, stove fuel, flares, bear bangers and bear spray. Please contact your local waste management office to find out how to properly dispose of these items.
Have a question about something that’s not on the list above? Give us a call or contact your local municipal recycling program.
Green building features
MEC was born in Vancouver in 1971. Over the decades, we’ve moved through a number of spaces, and our current flagship store in Olympic Village was designed with sustainability from the ground up.
Here are some of the green features:
- Wood is good. In fact, when it’s a mass timber superstructure like this flagship store, wood is great. The timber is a composite, which means it doesn’t use old-growth sources. It’s also a renewable building material, stores carbon, and can easily be reused at the end of its life.
- Drip, drip, drip: It rains 150+ days a year here, so we make the most of it. The roof captures rainwater that funnels into an underground cistern to provide up to 80% of the water used for flushing toilets.
- Less is more: 30% less s’mores around the campfire? Not so good. 30% less energy used by a building? Brilliant. This space is designed to use almost one-third less energy than the standards set out by the national energy code for buildings.
- A renewable day in the neighbourhood: We’re connected to an innovative energy system that recovers heat from untreated urban wastewater (a sanitized way of saying sewage). It’s renewable and doesn’t rely on fossil fuels.
- Behind the scenes: Some of the biggest energy savings come from things you can’t see: heating and cooling systems. The building envelope has more insulation than most and the HVAC units are high-efficiency.
MEC aims to minimize environmental impacts and make our buildings healthy, inviting spaces. Learn more about our green buildings.
Professional ski and snowboard shop services to set you up for the season. Some services may not be available year-round. Call us to set up a visit.
Buy two of the big three – board/skis, bindings, boots – from MEC and we’ll mount your bindings for free. This offer applies to all types of snowboard and ski equipment sold at MEC. If you’re shopping online, take advantage of this deal by calling your store to arrange an appointment to mount your bindings before you visit. Our ski techs get busy, and we don’t want to let you down.
|Binding removal (with purchase of new binding or skis)||Free|
|General repairs, minimum shop charge is $5||$70/hr|
|Hot wax (machine)||$15|
|Hot wax (hand)||$35|
|Machine sharpen and wax||$35|
|Pine tar, call for availability||$30|
|Skin trim (length only)||$10|
|Skin fit and shaping (length and width), call for availability||$25|
|Boot liner moulding (free with boot purchase)||$20|
|Boot punching (first punch)||$50|
|Boot punching (additional punch)||$25|
|Rivet replacement (per rivet)||$15/unit|
|Binding strap replacement (per strap)||$15/unit|
More than just a place to get gear – this store is a hub for your outdoor community. As a flagship, it’s home to a couple of cool extras, like a bouldering wall and a special space for events.
Basecamp is our open-concept community space. Year-round, MEC offers low cost (or even free) clinics and workshops from friendly staff instructors, plus events happening in the larger community – everything from backcountry navigation classes to film screenings. Find MEC events near you
This year, we’re donating $1 million to Canadian outdoor organizations to teach outdoor skills, protect wild spaces and grow the communities of people getting active outside. Funding supports groups across Canada with avalanche safety training, outdoor programs for youth, conserving wilderness and more. Learn more about community partnerships
Free display space
Not-for-profit groups and local clubs that share MEC values can use our floor space to tell people what’s going on. Let people know about outdoor issues, collect input on plans, or just get the word out about your club. For more info, please email email@example.com or phone the store.
Our bike mechanics can do it all, from installing fenders to building wheels from scratch. Not sure what work your bike needs? Bring it in for a free safety inspection and we’ll let you know. Call us to set up a bike shop visit. Small repairs can be done while you shop.
Bike fitting services are temporarily paused.
Phone: (604) 872-7858
Parts are not included in tune-up prices. **Add-on services for all Tune-up packages: bike cleaning fee $20, hub repack (single) $20, spoke replacement $10 (spokes and nipples not included).
Basic Tune-up $100
For when your bike hasn’t had a tune-up after a season of light use. Designed to get you rolling smoothly again by solving your drivetrain issues, imprecise shifting, loose feeling brakes, or when the whole bike is feeling slightly off.
- Full bike safety check; all bolts, pivot points, and components inspected for proper torque and wear levels
- Light cleaning -- Frame and fork wiped down and inspected
- Tires inflated, chain lubricated, and grease applied to seatpost
- Bearing adjustments -- including headset, and front and rear hubs
- Brake systems adjusted -- including cable adjustments and pad position
- Shifting systems adjusted -- including cable adjustments and hanger alignment
- Minor wheel truing -- lateral truing and light radial adjustments (spoke replacements extra)
- Minor components installed (chain, cassette, brake pads, tubes)
Advanced Tune-up $140
For when your bike hasn't had a tune-up after a season of regular riding or has issues caused by dirt, component wear, or light damage. If your bike has poor or inconsistent shifting, soft brakes, or the wheels aren’t straight, this package is for you.
- Includes every service from the Basic Tune-up, plus:
- Major wheel truing as needed -- including tension and dish adjustments
- Drivetrain removed and fully washed, lubricated, and reinstalled
- Frame, fork, and wheels cleaned -- including braking surfaces
- Installation of up to 2 cables, with housing **parts extra
Advanced Plus Tune-up $220
A comprehensive service for well-used bikes that need of some TLC.
- Includes every service from the Advanced Tune-up, plus:
- Headset and Wheel bearings cleaned and repacked
- Hydraulic brakes bled, or the installation of all cables and hosing for non-hydraulic systems
- Installation of intermediate-level components (bottom bracket, spoke replacements, tubeless sealant refresh) **parts extra
Available in Road and MTB specific packages. This complete service gets your bike looking and feeling brand new.
- Includes every service from the Advanced PLUS Tune-up, plus:
- Complete tear down and rebuild (MTB includes linkages)
- Full frame, component, and wheel detailing
- ** NOT included -- Specialty services such as: Suspension services, dropper post services, and wheel building.
A la carte bike services
|Tire or tube install||$12|
|Specialty Tire or Tube Install (e-bikes, fat bikes, etc)||$20|
|Wheel true||$15 – $20|
|Wheel build||$70 and up|
|Hub adjustment||$10 – $20|
|Brake adjustment||$15 – $25|
|Cable and housing replacement -- Installation cost per cable and housing length||$10|
|Gear adjustment||$15 – $20|
|Chain installation||$8 - $17|
|Bottom bracket replacement -- BB Removal, frame prepped, installation (parts not included)||$30|
|Shimano internal geared hub service -- Disassembly, fluid replacement, and lubrication||$70|
|Shimano Di2 reprogramming and firmware update -- call for store availability||$35|
|Cable and housing replacement -- Installation cost per cable and housing length||$10|
|Miscellaneous accessory install||$10 – $35|
|Bar tape installation -- Tape extra||$25|
|Bike boxing -- Partial disassembly and packaging for shipping or airplane travel||$60|
|General repairs -- Minimum shop charge is $5||$80/hr|