Use shortwave ultraviolet light to disinfect your water. When you immerse the lamp in the water it disrupts the DNA of bacteria, viruses and protozoa, rendering them harmless. The pre-filter can be used to help clear particulates and debris from water.
SteriPen is intended for, and is most effective with, clear water. It has been shown to reduce microbial contamination in mildly turbid water, but you should consider an alternate purification system any time you expect to encounter turbidity. If you do use SteriPen in turbid water, please follow all package instructions very carefully.
- Pre-filter fits standard 63mm thread water bottles.
- Treatment of .5L takes approximately 45 seconds and 1.0L takes approximately 90 seconds.
- Lamp life is approximately 8,000 treatments.
- Requires 4 AA batteries (not included). The manufacturer recommends lithium disposable, or NiMH rechargeable batteries with 2300mAh capacity.
- Manufacturer’s tests indicate that lithium batteries will treat approximately 100L, while NiMH will treat approximately 90-105L. Not recommended for use with alkaline batteries will treat 10-20L.
- Weight is 110g without batteries, 185g with lithium, 225g with NiMH.
- Note: colder ambient temperatures will reduce the number of doses per battery charge. In cold conditions, warm SteriPen to above 0°C before using, and store batteries in a pocket or other warm location.
Water can be treated using various types of filters, chemicals or non-chemical purification methods, or a combination. Filters on their own will not remove viruses as they are too small.
|Shortwave UV light|
|Dimensions||19.3 x 4.3cm|
The life of the filter cartridge is based on the quantity of water you can treat before the cartridge is no longer effective. This does not apply to battery operated or chemical filter systems.
|Batteries||4 AA (not included)|
Effective against protozoa
Protozoa are larger than one micron and include cryptosporidium and giardia.
Effective against viruses
Most viruses are in the 1.0 micron size range, but they can be as small as 0.002 microns.
Effective against particulate
Particulate consists of very small bits and pieces such as dirt or bugs.
Effective against bacteria
Bacteria can cause illnesses such as diarrhea and dysentery and are about 1.0 micron in size, although some can be as small as 0.2 microns.