Reduce, reuse, repair. A big part of a product’s environmental impact can be lessened with a few steps you have control over, and MEC can help you put these principles into action.
Reuse: gear swaps
Since 1997, our online outdoor gear swap has been our way of encouraging people to recycle used outdoor gear. You can also find gear and clothing with plenty of life left in it on online marketplace sites or at thrift stores, too.
Repair: fixes in store
For the safety of staff and members, we are pausing in-store gear repair services for a while. Thanks for your understanding.
Learn how to fix your gear
Have a DIY spirit? We’ve put together how-to articles and videos on some of the most popular gear repair and maintenance topics:
Tents and sleeping gear
- How to store and repair a sleeping pad
- How to wash a sleeping bag
- Tent repair and care guide, including how to fix a tent pole, how to replace a broken tent pole section, how to patch a hole in a tent, and how to pack your tent
Bike maintenance and repair
Many MEC stores also offer bike clinics and workshops if you like to learn new skills in person.
Clothing and footwear
When you put things in the wash, take a look at the product care tag. You may be able to choose lower-impact cleaning methods, like washing at a lower temperature, hang drying, avoiding bleach or using non-toxic detergents.
- How to wash a down jacket
- How to wash waterproof jackets and pants
- How to repair a torn waterproof jacket or pants
- How to fix a zipper
- How to clean and waterproof hiking boots