Want to know what to bring mountain biking? Use this trail checklist to tick off the basics for a few hours of riding. If you’re going for a longer rip, pad your kit with extra items to cover minor fixes farther from the trailhead.
Use common sense – for remote areas (or any trails where hike-a-biking out would be more painful than usual), start with the 10 essentials checklist and build your mountain bike kit from there.
Mountain bike gear essentials
- Hydration bladder or water bottle
- Water or energy drink
- Energy bars and food
- Trail app, map or guidebook
Repair kit items for every ride
- Bike multi-tool with Allen keys. Some also have chain tools, spoke wrenches, Torx drivers, and flatheads and Phillips screwdrivers built in.
- Spare tube, even if you’re tubeless (bring 2 if you’re planning to be out for a while)
- Patch kit
- Tire levers
- Mini bike pump or CO2 inflator with cartridges
Additional repair items for longer rides
- Shock pump
- Chain tool (if it’s not on a multi-tool)
- Master chain link, like a PowerLink or Quick Link
- Zip ties
- Duct tape (mini roll)
- Derailleur hanger and mounting bolts
- Big backcountry epics are beyond the scope of this checklist, and you’ll want to be totally self-sufficient for those. Check out the MEC mountain bike trip gear list for ideas on what to bring for full weekend or longer rides.
Clothing and armour
- Bike shorts with or without padded liner shorts
- Riding jersey
- Bike shoes
- Bike socks
- Cycling gloves
- Lightweight packable shell and extra layers
- Body armour
- Eye protection/sunglasses
Personal and safety stuff
- Phone, plus a portable charger in waterproof case
- First aid kit
- Bike light or headlamp in case a mechanical leaves you out after sunset
- Bug spray
- Compass or GPS
- ID and cash (a $5 can also be used as a temporary patch for a sidewall slash)
- GoPro or camera (optional)
- Change of clothes, a towel and cold drinks stashed in your car for post-ride
Bike maintenance skills
A little know-how could mean the difference between walking your bike out or rolling to the trailhead as planned. To learn useful repair skills, sign up for bike maintenance clinics at your local MEC store.