Explore your streets with an urban bike named Desire. Ride to work. Roll to school. Throw a basket on the front and spin to the store. It's easy to use, easy to love, and best of all, easy to maintain. The rear internal 8-speed hub doesn't require frequent cleaning and allows you to switch gears anytime. If your routes involve major climbing, it might not be the best choice, but with larger diameter wheels and a light aluminum frame, the Desire will take you smoothly along city streets and tame gravel roads. Like the women's Midtown, it has a step-thru frame that's easy to hop on and off, and accommodates skirts with decorum.
- Lightweight, aluminum frame with a step-thru top tube.
- 700 x 35mm tires are built for rolling on pavement and dirt roads, pathways, or light trail use.
- Simano® Acera V-brakes (rim brakes) provide great stopping power.
- Instead of derailleurs and cassettes, the Desire uses a Shimano Nexus 8-speed internally-geared rear hub which allows you to shift gears at anytime, even when waiting at a stop light.
- Upright seated position for visibility in traffic.
- Relatively thin handlebars with MEC Ergo grips for reduced pressure on palms and even weight distribution.
- Slightly wider, waterproof-coated Selle Royal Freccia saddle with gel padding to absorb shock.
- MEC Trekking pedals can be fitted with toeclips and straps.
- Shimano Acera components.
- Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
- MEC bikes were designed in Canada. Everything from the frames to the graphics was developed at the MEC Head Office in Vancouver, BC.
|Frame||MEC tapered 7005 aluminum|
|Stem||MEC AS-021 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA NO. 23/CC Integrated|
|Handlebars||MEC City Riser 31.8mm|
Mechanical disc brakes are more powerful than rim brakes, but less powerful than hydraulic brakes.
|Shimano Acera (V-brake rim)|
|Brake levers||Shimano Acera|
|Shifters||Shimano Nexus Revo|
|Derailleur (rear)||Shimano Nexus|
|Bottom bracket||RPM 7420|
|Hub (front)||Shimano Altus|
The hub affects a bike’s rolling efficiency. Internally geared hubs require significantly less maintenance.
|Shimano Nexus 8-speed|
Cassettes with a smaller range allow you to go faster; a bigger range makes climbing hills easier.
|Shimano Alfine 18T|
|Rims||Alex ACE 18|
|Tires||Kenda Trekking 700 x 35|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Ariel|