Global communication and navigation in one compact package. The Explorer uses the reliable Iridium satellite network to let you send and receive text messages anywhere on the planet, and update social media from the ends of the earth. You can pre-enter waypoints and routes or follow a breadcrumb trail back to your starting point. The built-in digital compass, altimeter-barometer and accelerometer assist with navigation while providing accurate speed and track log stats. Use the Explorer on its own, or pair it with your iPhone®, iPad® or Android device to download maps and access additional functionality.
- Intuitive LED indicator shows satellite availability.
- High-sensitivity GPS chip provides position accuracy to within 5 metres.
- Virtual keyboard allows you to compose text and email.
- Stores predefined text messages for anticipated situations to send as needed.
- Navigation modes can be used without a companion device and include a colour-coded map view showing the relative positions of waypoints, planned routes and your actual tracks.
- Odometer displays trip time, max speed, moving average, and trip distance.
- Pairs via Bluetooth with Apple iOS, Android (2.2 or later), or Kindle Fire with Bluetooth (smartphones and tablets).
- Tracking feature allows your friends and community to see your progress.
- Social media function lets you post messages and waypoints to Facebook, Twitter, or your own shared map.
- World coverage SOS feature gives you a confirmation message from rescue centre, if you use to send an SOS. 2-way texting allows them and you to provide situation updates.
- Messages have your GPS location embedded for faster finding in emergencies.
- Free DeLorme Earthmate application available through iTunes and Android Marketplace. Allows you to download maps and nautical charts to smartphones and enables inReach and iOS communication features such as native GPS to display location.
- Downloaded maps are stored in your phone and are available even if there is no cell phone signal.
- Internal rechargeable battery uses long-lasting lithium technology.
- Requires a separate satellite plan to activate.
- Canadian monthly plans are available, as well as seasonal hibernation options that allow you to pay a minimal fee during months when you are not using the device.
- Dimensions are 62 x 26 x 149mm.
|Ideal for||Emergency preparedness|
|Satellite network used||Iridium|
|Operating temperature||-20 to 60°C|
Message character limit
Character limit for sent messages.
Battery life (operating)
AA ratings using lithium batteries.
|Storage temperature||-40 to 85°C|
|Dimensions||6.2 x 2.6 x 15cm|
Indicates the degree of protection against liquid. IP X1: Dripping water while in normal operating orientation; IP X4: Splashing water; IP X5: Water jets; IP X6: Powerful water jets; IP X7: Immersion up to 1m ≤ 30 minutes; IP X8: Suitable for submersion as specified by manufacturer.
|Power supply||USB charger|
Ability to test
Allows you to test the unit.
GPS data sent in SOS
GPS coordinates are sent in each SOS message.
Allows you to send a 'check-in' message to let people know you are safe.
Lets you know that your message was received.