Having the right tool for big days in the backcountry is key to having an efficient and enjoyable time. The Mountain Explore 88 skis shine when you've got your skins on, but that doesn't mean they're noodles on the descent. This ski is built with some of the same technology found in the QST line, but with a focus on keeping the weight low. By adding C/FX carbon reinforcement to a 3D-shaped karuba woodcore, Salomon managed to create a ski that's very responsive even with a weight of 2.36kg per pair – so you'll move quickly enough to get in an extra lap.
- Internally milled Karuba wood core offers great stability and rebound.
- A layer of carbon and flax laminate keeps the weight low while increasing the ski's dampness.
- Spaceframe construction keeps the weight low at the tip and tail to improve manoeuvrability.
- Semi-sandwich construction features ABS sidewall all around the ski for increased durability and strength.
- 5-point sidecut improves steering in mixed snow and feels quick and agile.
- MTN Rocker provide grip and power transfer underfoot.
- Koroyd Tip is lightweight and reduces vibration without sacrificing control.
- Skin Clip Tail features a notch for an easy and secure skin attachment.
|Ideal for||Backcountry skiing|
Beginner: new or getting back into skiing. Intermediate: confident with turning and stopping. Advanced: highly confident carver. Expert: steeps, drops, park, double blacks -- bring it on.
Sandwich and combination construction is generally used for big freeride-style skis while the lighter structural cap type of construction is more commonly found on cross-country skis.
|Rocker/camber profile||Rocker tip|