Earlier sunsets and cooler mornings are slinking into our routines, which means it’s time to assess your current layering system and see if any upgrades are in order. Along with warmer layers, we’ve also got some handy reusable straws, a Suunto watch with crazy good battery life, and a whole new way to explore the water in this week’s edition of what’s new:
MEC Mission Possible Top
Add a light layer of warmth to your winter running, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing or outdoor training. This versatile midlayer has a stripped-down design that makes it easy to pack, giving you something cozy to grab if the temperature drops earlier than you expected.
Luumi Platinum Silicone Straws
Plastic straws may be convenient, but they’re not great for our planet and its ocean life. This platinum silicone straw is flexible, durable and non-toxic, so you can feel better about your choices, one sip at a time.
Bison Last Chance Light Duty Belt
With an aircraft aluminum V-ring belt buckle and burly webbing, the Last Chance light duty belt won’t let you – or your pants – down. Wide 38mm profile sits snugly in most belt loops.
Levi’s Barstow Long Sleeve Shirt
Rugged denim ages gracefully, earning a broken-in look that money can’t buy. Snap front placket and cuffs mean no time wasted fussing with buttons. Good to know: Levi’s sources more than 17% of its cotton through the Better Cotton Initiative (BCI). The BCI is a not-for-profit association committed to a holistic approach to sustainable cotton production.
Levi’s 721 High Rise Skinny Jeans
A hint of spandex means they won’t hold you back if you feel a high kick coming on. 5-pocket layout for all your day-to-day necessities.
Suunto 9 Baro Watch
Whether you’re racing an ultra or trying to beat your PB, Suunto’s 9 Baro has the power to be with you every step of the way.
- Battery life is 25 – 336h (up to 120h in activity tracking or GPS tracking mode).
- One key reason that Suunto is able to achieve these runtimes is its FusedTrack system. FusedTrack™ uses data from the internal sensors to plot your route between GPS points. By combining the data, you get a track that mirrors your actual track, while only checking into GPS once or twice a minute. All of that means a greatly increased battery life. Currently only works for running and trail running, with open water swimming in the works.
- Over 80 activity modes.
- Pre-set intelligent battery profiles change modes to get specific runtimes and features out of the remaining battery.
New freediving and snorkelling gear
If you’re a planning a snorkelling trip or are aiming to progress to freediving, check out the masks, fins and floats from Omer or Sporasub.
MEC Glacier Jackets
When temperatures dip and snowflakes start to fall, these warm winter jacket help kids stay out longer. Fully taped seams ensure water won’t eventually work its way in.
- Waterproof-breathable and Primaloft Black Eco insulated construction for mixed-bag conditions.
- A powder skirt keeps snow on the outside when the drifts are thigh-deep.
- Soft fleece-lined collar and chin guard is comfortable, even when the jacket’s zipped all the way up.
- A helmet-compatible hood, secure zippered pockets, and a D-ring for a lift pass for winter days on the slopes.
Helly Hansen Vertical Insulated Bib Pants
Every toboggan crew needs the right uniform. These insulated, waterproof bib pants are adjustable to last through a growth spurt or two before it’s time to hand them down. Reinforced seat, knees and legs stand up to the demands of snow day after snow day.
MEC Chillshed 3-in-1 Parka
A warm jacket with a lot to hide – it’s secretly also a rain coat and a light down layer. Wear them separately in between seasons and together in the deepest parts of winter. The classic style is totally waterproof-breathable with a DWR finish and sealed seams – always welcome on cold November mornings when the streetcar’s running late.
United by Blue Forest Flora T
A wearable field guide. Made of soft organically grown cotton, the Forest Flora tee lets you practice your plant identification skills in between hikes. For every product sold, United By Blue removes 1 pound of trash from the world’s oceans and waterways.
Kodiak Bethany Waterproof Boots
Stay sure-footed this fall and winter. The waterproof leather upper and sealed seams keep rain and puddles out. An insole made of memory foam means they’re as comfortable as they are nice-looping, and the slip-resistant outsole adds extra traction to your tracks.