September 14, 2023
One of our favourite parts of ski season? All the ski films that kick it off. MEC is proud to announce the world premiere of People Like Us, a short film that explores queer identity in mountain towns and the snowsports world by filmmaker Ryan Collins.
Check out the trailer, film screening dates, and a behind the scenes look about the creation of this film.
What inspired People Like Us?
Ryan: I’ve negotiated my sexuality and role in the outdoor sports industry, and the small towns I find myself in, for many years. I’ve often asked myself what it is about the adventure industry and its rural settings that make me, a gay man, so uncomfortable. Is it the activity or the space? What is it like for other queer people in the industry?
Photo by Laura Szanto
I’ve explored this discomfort in the past both professionally and academically. I have worked throughout the outdoor industry, from surf, to rock, to snow. While each industry holds up a select few queer professionals, overall members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ still feel out of place.
Photo by Laura Szanto
I’m making People Like Us for this community, whether they’re a pro or a newbie. This film is for people who live, work, and play, in rural outdoor settings. People who maybe need more than a gay Olympic athlete to feel welcome. I aim to share stories and experiences that paint an honest picture of queer life in rural spaces and hopefully allow for conversations on how both the outdoor community and municipal communities alike can create a more inclusive environment.
Fall 2023 film screenings
Interested in hosting a screening of your own? Fill out this screening request form to get started. Keep an eye out for more dates and locations being added to the list below:
- October 14: World premiere at MEC Vancouver, BC
- October 21: iF3 Festival in Whistler, BC
- October 26: EVO Portland, Oregon
- November 18: VIMFF Best of Fall Series in Vancouver, BC
- November 18: Teton Valley Pride Alliance in Victor, ID
- November 30: Whistler Film Festival in Whistler, BC (in-person and online)
- December 1: Performance Series in Revelstoke, BC presented by MEC and Arts Revelstoke
- December 2: Whistler Film Festival in Whistler, BC (in-person and online)
- December 22: Fernie Pride Society in Fernie BC
MEC supported People Like Us with funding and gear donations. Additional support for the film came from Mountain Hardwear and Story Hive.